SMB Services wont run - Window 10 connections issue

sdmcoupe

Cadet
For the longest time now I've been unable to get Windows 10 to access my Freenas server (FreeNAS-11.3-U4.1) in windows explorer. The network sees it there but will not connect to it. I've done everything I think i can do on the windows side to get this resolved. Smb1, tcip, etc... It just wont connect. I can, though, connect to the dashboard GUI.
I should note that i can connect no problem with a macbook. I can access folder/ files w/o issue using a macbook.

I headed over to my freenas settings via the dashboard and under services tried to turn on SMB. It wont let me. I get the "SMB service failed to start." Message. I assume this is related to the windows 10 connection issue but i really dont know for sure.

I'm sure in trying to understand Freenas and playing with it, I probably screwed some setting up.

Can anyone point me to possible fixes for the above?

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What file sharing service are you using for the MacBook? It may be that the two are mutually exclusive.

sdmcoupe

Cadet
AFP service.

The smbd command pointed to a specific user issue. I deleted that user and created a new one. I can now turn on the SMB service.
Heading back over to windows 10 under network in explorer, when i click on the nas server it asks for a user and password. it didnt do that before. Unfortunately, its not accepting the password and connecting. hmm..

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Heading back over to windows 10 under network in explorer, when i click on the nas server it asks for a user and password. it didnt do that before. Unfortunately, its not accepting the password and connecting. hmm..
I don't think it is safe to have the same data shared by two services. You might run into a situation where both computers are accessing the same file and it could have unpredictable results.

sdmcoupe

Cadet
the rest of the "error" messages from running the smbd command:
1611782811364.png

not sure what any of this means