Failing credentials with SMB through Windows 10

Keith Manns

Dabbler
I've been trying to use login credentials to freenas for SMB services and Veem backup software. I know without a doubt that i have gotten the usernames and password correctly every time. Not sure what Im doing wrong in this case. I have the latest version of freenas and Windows 10 pro 190318-1202. Any help would be appreciated.

shabbir

Cadet
I've been trying to use login credentials to freenas for SMB services and Veem backup software. I know without a doubt that i have gotten the usernames and password correctly every time. Not sure what Im doing wrong in this case. I have the latest version of freenas and Windows 10 pro 190318-1202. Any help would be appreciated.
same issue with me ...please help

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
By any chance are you using /, \, [, ], {, }, &, or ! as special characters in your password? Those are reserved in Unix-style OSes, and I've seen these cause password failures. Try changing your password for your SMB account in the GUI to omit these special characters. I try to stick to only (,),-,+ as special characters just to avoid these sort of OS interoperability issues.

shabbir

Cadet
By any chance are you using /, \, [, ], {, }, &, or ! as special characters in your password? Those are reserved in Unix-style OSes, and I've seen these cause password failures. Try changing your password for your SMB account in the GUI to omit these special characters. I try to stick to only (,),-,+ as special characters just to avoid these sort of OS interoperability issues.
Sir...I used very simple password 123456 only numbers without any characters...and I can easily login with same credentials in GUI

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sir...I used very simple password 123456 only numbers without any characters...and I can easily login with same credentials in GUI

Ah, the GUI only lets you log in as root, and Samba does NOT let you log in as root. Please make sure that you are creating and using a separate username for your Veeam SMB user.

shabbir

Cadet
Ah, the GUI only lets you log in as root, and Samba does NOT let you log in as root. Please make sure that you are creating and using a separate username for your Veeam SMB user.
Oh ok understood...let me try again