SMB share on windows requires credentials after every reboot, even if selecting 'remember my credentials'

testfire10

Dabbler
I've successfully created an SMB share, and can access the drive just fine by doing a 'map network drive' in windows 10. I map the drive to \\192.168.10.125\Ganymede (the name of my dataset). The user I created following the getting started TrueNAS guide is 'testfire10', and is the same username for my windows machine, but the TrueNAS share uses a different password.

If I map the network drive, the credentials I use to authenticate to the share (the TrueNAS password) works, and I can freely access the share without issue. However, when I reboot my laptop, the network drive becomes inaccessible and I have to reauthenticate, even if I select 'remember my credentials'. I've tried using "net use Z: \\computer_name\share_name /PERSISTENT:YES" (with my own information of course), but I still have to provide creds after every reboot. I've tried making sure the windows credential manager also has my IP and credentials for the NAS stored correctly, but it still does not save the credentials upon reboot.

Is there any way to fix this problem? It seems maybe this is because the windows and TrueNAS usernames are the same, but the passwords are different? Is there any way to make this work?

HarambeLives

Contributor
Its because the username is the same, I've had this issue in Windows before. It will always just try and authenticate with the local credentials first

Just change the username, or set the passwords to match

testfire10

Dabbler
I kept the username the same. After many attempts to try different username/domain combos in windows credential manager, different usernames (same result), and disconnecting/reconnecting the share, and many reboots, it randomly started working. I've since restarted 3 times and it now seems to have saved my credentials - I have no idea what changed.