Truenas Scale with TrueCommand adding NFS cluster sharing

mtindall1

Dabbler
I have a Truenas Scale 3 node cluster running TrueCommand. I have found when creating cluster vols they can only be used for SMB. Also, need to use MinIO for S3. Is there a way to use clustered volumes to export as NFS?? or is this still relegated to be run on each individual node? I find it a terrible waste if there is no way to use clustered volumes for NFS and S3.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Using Minio allows a S3 cluster to be built. For the TrueCommand side, we're focused 100% on SMB right now, that feature has to finish maturing before we begin considering any NFS support.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
There is also the option to use gluster clients rather than NFS.... these will perform best since the clients can intelligently access the best node for the data.

mtindall1

Dabbler
Using Minio allows a S3 cluster to be built. For the TrueCommand side, we're focused 100% on SMB right now, that feature has to finish maturing before we begin considering any NFS support.
Kris,

Thank you for the reply. I have also noticed that when trying to finish creating the cluster it asks to select each nodes interface and IP. When I try to hit the drop down box nothing appears and I am forced to skip that section. Why wont it populate with an interface?? I have each node setup with a bonded lacp interface. When you get on each server you can see the bond1 and the 2 hardware interfaces, but when you are creating the cluster nothing populates.

Urbaman

Dabbler
@mtindall1 you need two different interfaces to properly do SMB clustering: one for internal cluster, the other one for SMB sharing (and cluster management/GUI), you having only 1 (the bond) doesn't support SMB clustering feature.

mtindall1

Dabbler
@mtindall1 you need two different interfaces to properly do SMB clustering: one for internal cluster, the other one for SMB sharing (and cluster management/GUI), you having only 1 (the bond) doesn't support SMB clustering feature.
I added additional interfaces to add another IP to. Will it support it if I create a second bond (bond2) interface to make sure i have uptime or will it only work on a raw hardware interface??

malco_2001

Dabbler
It should work actually if you use vlans on top of the bond to configure the addresses but this has not been fully validated yet.