TrueNAS Scale + Plex

jolness1

Dabbler
So I moved to TrueNAS Scale today after months of hemming and hawing. I expected less to be carried over in regards to settings etc but that portion has been slick. I realize there isn't a reasonable way to migrate jails to Scale so I understand needing to re-set up Plex. The options under the storage section are not entirely clear to me. I feel like it should be obvious but I am not really understanding. Do I need to create a folder for the transcode volume and the config volume? I have my TV and Movies and Music set up in different folders right in the root of the SMB share directory, should I put them all into one for and make that the data volume? Besides that, looks straightforward, seen some stuff that needs to be done to the transcode/config so they can be used and written to by plex which is simple enough. Hoping I can get a little insight from those who have done this or have a better understanding of the intricacies of plex.

Thanks in advance for the help, realize this is pretty basic stuff but not understanding what it is asking for specifically makes it difficult for me to puzzle out the solution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 1.28.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 1.28.56 PM.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 5,844

HITMAN

Dabbler
You can leave them this way. On my test bench only library (files) resides directly on data pool folder outside PVC

Last edited:

jolness1

Dabbler
You can leave them this way. On my test bench only library (files) resides directly on data pool folder outside PVC
Perfect, that is good to know. Not a huge deal to move them into a single directory but I was curious since it worked in that file structure on Core.
Finally have some time today to set it up and get it running.

HITMAN

Dabbler
You can spread your media files over multiple folders. Mine are Multimedia sub-folder TV sub-folder Movies .. etc

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The key thing is to ensure that the plex user in the container has read / write permissions to whatever paths it's using. If you have an existing SMB share, this means potentially modifying the ACL to grant read/write to the plex UID.

simplyseth

Cadet
The key thing is to ensure that the plex user in the container has read / write permissions to whatever paths it's using. If you have an existing SMB share, this means potentially modifying the ACL to grant read/write to the plex UID.
Is this done by granting full access to the user running the docker daemon, if so what user is that ?
I'm struggling to find how to grant access to my docker container to Pool01/Plex and Pool01/Media datasets.

Is this done by granting full access to the user running the docker daemon, if so what user is that ?
I'm struggling to find how to grant access to my docker container to Pool01/Plex and Pool01/Media datasets.
I was in the same spot as you and found this:

My iX-Systems Plex container has: uid=1000(plex) gid=1000(plex) groups=1000(plex),100(users)

Interestingly, after creating the UID and GID in the SCALE host the Plex container would not access files if I tried adding UID 1000(plex) to the "apps" group and using that. The only way it works is by adding the newly created UID or GID for Plex to the Filesystem ACL for the Dataset that's holding the media.

HITMAN

Dabbler
Try to set plex media folder chown -R apps.apps /path

All my Multimedia are on a "dataset" and i don't use smb.

1641384490730.png

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The only way it works is by adding the newly created UID or GID for Plex to the Filesystem ACL for the Dataset that's holding the media.
That is more or less how permissions work. The plex user (uid 1000) has to be able to read the files.

simplyseth

Cadet
In the WebUI:
  1. I created a local user/group plex with a uid/gid of 1000
  2. I then granted ownership to the two datasets to plex user/group
  3. Mounted the datasets/directories using the `hostpath` options in the app config for Plex app
It runs well.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
In the WebUI:
  1. I created a local user/group plex with a uid/gid of 1000
  2. I then granted ownership to the two datasets to plex user/group
  3. Mounted the datasets/directories using the `hostpath` options in the app config for Plex app
It runs well.
Yeah, that's more or less the same procedure people do with plex plugin in TrueNAS Core, with the caveat that there Plex runs as uid 973.

wkelley70

Cadet
How do I determine the UID of the Plex container under TrueNAS Scale?
I was in the same spot as you and found this:

My iX-Systems Plex container has: uid=1000(plex) gid=1000(plex) groups=1000(plex),100(users)

Interestingly, after creating the UID and GID in the SCALE host the Plex container would not access files if I tried adding UID 1000(plex) to the "apps" group and using that. The only way it works is by adding the newly created UID or GID for Plex to the Filesystem ACL for the Dataset that's holding the media.

jordiorlando

Cadet
I have an issue - my personal local user uid/gid is already 1000. Anyone know what I should do in this situation? Should I try to change my "jordi" user's uid/gid and re-chown all my files?

jordiorlando

Cadet
I have an issue - my personal local user uid/gid is already 1000. Anyone know what I should do in this situation? Should I try to change my "jordi" user's uid/gid and re-chown all my files?
Looks like I solved my own issue, albeit in a way that feels a bit uncomfortable. I just gave my user explicit modify permissions on the dataset, applied recursively, and we're off to the races. Interestingly, I already had access to that dataset through a group that I'm a member of, but that didn't seem to work.

mervincm

Contributor
Good info here. I had UID 1000 and GUID 1000 assigned to user-created ID/Group and this made a total mess of my permissions for plex. I renamed those IDs / Groups to plex, and now my permissions make so much more sense. very strange choice here for ix. Either ask us to supply the values we want, or CREATE an ID with the values you want to use and call it plex :)

jack123

Dabbler
Hi
This seems like a good place to ask. I have the following problem, my plexlibrary cant seem to read my files. I have
in pod(Scale app):
# id plex
uid=1000(plex) gid=1000(plex) groups=1000(plex),100(users)
#

root@truenas[~]# id plex
uid=1000(plex) gid=1000(plex) groups=545(builtin_users),1000(plex)
root@truenas[~]#
Ive set ownership of the 2 directories to plex/plex .When i go to scan libraries nothing happens? Any suggestions?
Thx.

CoolFrog

Cadet
I created a new user/group "plex". (With ID 1002 and 1003)
Added this user and group to the plex container

think works good

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-25 123206.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-25 123206.png
    21 KB · Views: 4,187

UltrashRicco

Cadet
I already had user with UID 1000 and did not want plex container to clash with it so I searched around and turns out you can change official TrueNAS SCALE Plex container UID and GID with env variables PLEX_UID and PLEX_GID: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker
This can make your setup more flexible.
This is the way to go, worked for me after many headaches fiddling with permissions, thank you! I did read the documentation and was trying to use the -e PUID and -e PGID to no avail.

This is the way to go, worked for me after many headaches fiddling with permissions, thank you! I did read the documentation and was trying to use the -e PUID and -e PGID to no avail.
I made an account here on the TrueNAS forum just to say that this worked for me. I kept having issues with establishing any permissions for the dataset and its sub-directories and files the housed my Plex data. Both the Plex app running on TrueNAS Scale and Windows systems trying to access the same dataset would only work if they dataset's ACL was set to POSIX_OPEN. I attempted using POSIX_RESTRICTED with only the appropriate groups assigned however, it wasn't until I made this change to the environment variables in the Plex app to a specific plex user that everything seemed to work.