TrueNAS Scale - Nvidia cli commands

micogg

Cadet
Hi all,

Question regarding Nvidia drivers on TrueNAS Scale.
I found on the forum that the apt command was removed from the official TrueNAS Scale release.
I also found that the Nvidia drivers are being rolled out as official packages.

My question is, can you install commands such as "nvidia-smi" and "nvidia-detect".
I'm trying to verify that the GPU is actually being used for ffpmeg processing.

Thanks in advance.

micogg

Cadet
nvidia-smi is installed by default, nvidia-detect isn't
I'm sorry, you are correct.

nvidia-smi is returning "failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver".
If you are unable to install the drivers and they are provided as packages with the TrueNAS updates, how do I rectify this?

I'm trying to use a nvidia GTX1060.

DaSnipe

Explorer
Good question, you can enable apt-get manually (I dunno what's the policy on the official forums but a tool like TrueTool can enable apt-get or search Reddit/Google). However might want to file a bug report with IX since it should be supported/enabled by default

patzm

Cadet
Same problem / observation on my end, on `5.15.79+truenas` on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0.
Did you file an issue somewhere? Or can you provide a link to something that has an answer?

Saberwolf

Explorer
Good question, you can enable apt-get manually (I dunno what's the policy on the official forums but a tool like TrueTool can enable apt-get or search Reddit/Google). However might want to file a bug report with IX since it should be supported/enabled by default
no apt* has been removed from system to keep issues down. so at this point it is not supported way of adding apps just download the DEB package that is compiled and not source. then use dkpg to install hope this helps.

DaSnipe

Explorer
no apt* has been removed from system to keep issues down. so at this point it is not supported way of adding apps just download the DEB package that is compiled and not source. then use dkpg to install hope this helps.
It's still there, just needs to be enabled ;-)

1679705129711.png