Nvidia 3080 - do i have to install an actual driver to get App access?

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1
Nvidia 3080 card in the system during install.

Trying to learn the App setup menus: Under resources and devices it says "GPU configuration" but there are no selectable options.

Under shell:

root@truenas[~]# nvidia-smi
Unable to determine the device handle for GPU 0000:21:00.0: Unknown Error

I cannot find any options in the system settings that relate to GPU. Does TrueNAS scale in current form not support GPU without additional install of drivers or something else I'm missing?

truecharts

Guru
Be sure to file bugreports on the iX Systems Jira if GPU's don't show up.
That's how you can be sure your issue gets fixed in the future. :)

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Be sure to file bugreports on the iX Systems Jira if GPU's don't show up. That's how you can be sure your issue gets fixed in the future. :)

I assume that means I've not done something wrong or missed something but that I've encountered a bug?

No idea how to file bug report - I'll try and track that down and do so.

Signed up and submitted, no idea if I did it right, but I did create a ticket there.

Last edited:

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
Just a f/u. Ticket was created, prolonged remote session with developer staff, no solution was able to be provided. Apparently Nvidia driver support is significantly behind? I would hope this might be prioritized as many of us have GPU focused Apps.

dfnas

Cadet
Just a f/u. Ticket was created, prolonged remote session with developer staff, no solution was able to be provided. Apparently Nvidia driver support is significantly behind? I would hope this might be prioritized as many of us have GPU focused Apps.
Yeah, have the same issue, and installing a new GPU driver is non-trivial on their purposely locked-down systems (which would be fine, if the driver actually worked!)

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
I continue to be baffled that Nvidia 3080 cards are not supported. Just did the update to 22.02.4 and nvidia-smi still returns no supported devices.

I guess the storage aspects are definitely being prioritized vs.virtualization and convergence.

If anyone has actually gotten a 3080 to work please let me know. I'm about ready to just give up.

DaSnipe

Explorer
I continue to be baffled that Nvidia 3080 cards are not supported. Just did the update to 22.02.4 and nvidia-smi still returns no supported devices.

I guess the storage aspects are definitely being prioritized vs.virtualization and convergence.

If anyone has actually gotten a 3080 to work please let me know. I'm about ready to just give up.

Gotta wait for Bluefin/22.12 (or run Beta1 on the website) if you want support, it has the 515.65.01 nvidia drivers built-in

Ppriorfl

Dabbler
@DaSnipe Ok. well at least there's a timeline. I'm leery of running beta since my valuable data is stored on this server, so I'll wait for release. Hopefully soon. Thank you.