Truenas Scale-Apps-vlan

BlueScreenTT

Explorer
Hi

so i have used truenas core for some years now and had some problems but nothing i couldent get help with here.
i am happy with Core but wanted to try Scale.

My problem is to get my head arround the differences from how the jails was working to how the apps are working.

all my jails were working with different vlans and some even dedicated nics.

i can setup and get the vlans and bridges working with VM's in Scale but i can not figure out how to get the apps away from the main IP that the server have.
i dont want to run all apps on the same IP and just use different ports.
i have my firewall and network setup differently

is is possible to give the apps a vlan or a dedicated nic ?

NugentS

MVP
As far as I can tell - its not possible. I would love to be wrong

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi

so i have used truenas core for some years now and had some problems but nothing i couldent get help with here.
i am happy with Core but wanted to try Scale.

My problem is to get my head arround the differences from how the jails was working to how the apps are working.

all my jails were working with different vlans and some even dedicated nics.

i can setup and get the vlans and bridges working with VM's in Scale but i can not figure out how to get the apps away from the main IP that the server have.
i dont want to run all apps on the same IP and just use different ports.
i have my firewall and network setup differently

is is possible to give the apps a vlan or a dedicated nic ?

It is not as well documented as it should be: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/scaleuireference/apps/usingapps/

"You can find additional options for configuring general network interfaces and IP addresses for application containers in Apps > Settings > Advanced Settings."

Let us know whether you find what you are looking for.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I'll have to check if this was just added only for Bluefin, but we do have a network interface option when you deploy the App.

1663008322091.png

NugentS

MVP
That looks +ve - I would really like to put the containers on a different interface and behind a different IP - but I can wait

truecharts

Guru
I'll have to check if this was just added only for Bluefin, but we do have a network interface option when you deploy the App.

View attachment 58372

This option existed with our Apps and Launch Docker for about a year by now.
It's not an option we would advice, but does technically work.

For our Apps we would advice another loadbalancer like MetalLB to expose ports on different IP addresses and VLANS.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Confirmed its in Angelfish as well currently, you'd see it if you click Edit on an App.

NugentS

MVP
Where?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
On my system, after installing an app. Go to the three dot menu, and select Edit on the app. Scroll down until you see the network section, where you can click "Add" to attach external interfaces.

NugentS

MVP
Doesn't exist - this was an ix app rather than truecharts
1663189564239.png

sretalla