TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.2 is expected April 11th

Kartright

Dabbler
I did the upgrade yesterday and it turns out, that SMB does not allow me to write, copy or move a file. The share is available through SMB and NFS. NFS works fine, SMB blocks.
What I found out so far:
When I change the permissions to 0775 for folders (currently 0755) it seems to work, but this would interfere with NFS (applies 0755 to directories by default).
Does anyone have an idea to solve this?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I did the upgrade yesterday and it turns out, that SMB does not allow me to write, copy or move a file. The share is available through SMB and NFS. NFS works fine, SMB blocks.
What I found out so far:
When I change the permissions to 0775 for folders (currently 0755) it seems to work, but this would interfere with NFS (applies 0755 to directories by default).
Does anyone have an idea to solve this?
You can set an ACL entry granting your SMB users access independent of the owning user. 775 working but 755 not working means that your SMB user doesn't own the directory. If you could trivially bypass on-disk permissions then it would be a huge security issue.

Kartright

Dabbler
You can set an ACL entry granting your SMB users access independent of the owning user. 775 working but 755 not working means that your SMB user doesn't own the directory. If you could trivially bypass on-disk permissions then it would be a huge security issue.
When I connect to SMB share via Windows, it does not see my user, so it maps to the guest account. I configured SMB to use a the user "share" and the group "share" for guest access. On Filesystem level, all files are owned by by "share:share" with directory permission 0755 and file permission 0644.

On Dataset level I have ACLs currently set to "off".

For SMB Share "Edit Share ACL" I see a SID S-1-1-0. When I change that, I see the following error:
[EFAULT] sharesec --replace failed with error: lpcfg_do_global_parameter: WARNING: The "syslog only" option is deprecated Failed to parse acl

An under SMB Share "Edit Filesystem ACL" I see no ACL.

@anodos I think I disabled all these ACL stuff, because I had huge problems with SMB and NFS. Also, my knowledge is quite limited when it comes to ACLs, so I disabled ACLs. It worked perfectly, but unfortunately it doesn't anymore.
Is the ACL somehow "a permission overlay" that is only used by the SMB process? Where do I need to set the ACL? Am I able to use WebUI for that? Thanks in advance.

demoli

Cadet
I do all updates since version RC. No issues.
but this time... no boot... "You need to load the kernel first"... for all grub entries...
I did the update as usual from the GUI

My system installed on NVMe Corsair CORSAIR MP510 plugged with adaptator pcie nvme on Motherboard Asustek J5040 ITX.

All disks seems OK (nvme and sata).
Maybye a problem with grub ?
is it possible to repair grub ?, For example with trunas scale installer ? or from a live linux withchroot

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I do all updates since version RC. No issues.
but this time... no boot... "You need to load the kernel first"... for all grub entries...
I did the update as usual from the GUI

My system installed on NVMe Corsair CORSAIR MP510 plugged with adaptator pcie nvme on Motherboard Asustek J5040 ITX.

All disks seems OK (nvme and sata).
Maybye a problem with grub ?
is it possible to repair grub ?, For example with trunas scale installer ? or from a live linux withchroot

Suggest you start a new thread for this case... it may be unique to your nas, so please provide all hardware info.

FatFish

Cadet
After I upgraded to 22.12.2, I found that "Threshold Days" of Scrub tasks did not work at all.

Please check the following thread for more details.

probain

Patron
Upgrade went decently overall.
NFS-service wouldn't start automatically upon boot. Although the checkbox for autostart was checked.

I also received a Memory Asserted Correctable ECC (@DIMME1(CPU1)). which I haven't had before the upgrade.

If issues persist. I will look into it further.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Upgrade went decently overall.
NFS-service wouldn't start automatically upon boot. Although the checkbox for autostart was checked.

I also received a Memory Asserted Correctable ECC (@DIMME1(CPU1)). which I haven't had before the upgrade.

If issues persist. I will look into it further.

The ECC issue should not be impacted by an update....should be an independent event.

probain

Patron
The ECC issue should not be impacted by an update....should be an independent event.
I agree, it should :wink:
I just noticed it as a coincidence, since I haven't had an ECC-issue prior or since the upgrade. But as I mentioned, I will look into things further if they show up more regularly .

compata

Cadet
Four systems upgraded to 22.12.2 - no immediate issues.

Hardware: 2x HPE ProLiant Gen8, 1x HPE ProLiant Gen9, 1x Proxmox Virtualized (kvm)

First impressions:
- iLO4 IPMI still not detected (UI)
- kernel_extra_options "intel_iommu=off intremap=off" is still needed on ProLiant gen8 hardware (prevents periodic reboots)
Upgrade on my gen8 also went smoothly, though it seemed to take a long time. I've never had IPMI working but just tried. TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.2 doesn't detect that it is available, but the syslog seems to think it is. Here's what the log shows when running "ipmitool mc getsysinfo system_fw_version".

kernel: ipmi device interface
kernel: ipmi_si: IPMI System Interface driver
kernel: ipmi_si dmi-ipmi-si.0: ipmi_platform: probing via SMBIOS
kernel: ipmi_platform: ipmi_si: SMBIOS: io 0xca2 regsize 1 spacing 1 irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si: Adding SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: ipmi_platform: probing via ACPI
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: ipmi_platform: [io 0x0ca2-0x0ca3] regsize 1 spacing 1 irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si dmi-ipmi-si.0: Removing SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine in favor of ACPI
kernel: ipmi_si: Adding ACPI-specified kcs state machine
kernel: ipmi_si: Trying ACPI-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: IPMI message handler: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x00000b, prod_id: 0x2000, dev_id: 0x13)
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: IPMI kcs interface initialized
kernel: ipmi_ssif: IPMI SSIF Interface driver

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Upgrade on my gen8 also went smoothly, though it seemed to take a long time. I've never had IPMI working but just tried. TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.2 doesn't detect that it is available, but the syslog seems to think it is. Here's what the log shows when running "ipmitool mc getsysinfo system_fw_version".

kernel: ipmi device interface
kernel: ipmi_si: IPMI System Interface driver
kernel: ipmi_si dmi-ipmi-si.0: ipmi_platform: probing via SMBIOS
kernel: ipmi_platform: ipmi_si: SMBIOS: io 0xca2 regsize 1 spacing 1 irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si: Adding SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: ipmi_platform: probing via ACPI
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: ipmi_platform: [io 0x0ca2-0x0ca3] regsize 1 spacing 1 irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si dmi-ipmi-si.0: Removing SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine in favor of ACPI
kernel: ipmi_si: Adding ACPI-specified kcs state machine
kernel: ipmi_si: Trying ACPI-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address 0x20, irq 0
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: IPMI message handler: Found new BMC (man_id: 0x00000b, prod_id: 0x2000, dev_id: 0x13)
kernel: ipmi_si IPI0001:00: IPMI kcs interface initialized
kernel: ipmi_ssif: IPMI SSIF Interface driver
best to start this discussion as a new thread with all the hardware details...