kepford

Cadet
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U2
Hardware: TrueNAS Mini E+
* 4-Core 2.2GHz Intel Processor
* 16GB of High-speed ECC Memory
* 4x 1GbE NICs

Note: I'm pretty new to TrueNAS

* While I was working on one of my VMs on TrueNAS I noticed some odd errors when I tried to create a new VM.
* Saw SQL errors in the web GUI
* I tried checking for updates to TrueNAS and that produced similar errors
* Thought I would try just rebooting. That was a mistake.
* Network services never started after reboot
* Had to hook up a monitor and keyboard because the server never came back on the network
* Not able to ping external or internal addresses from TrueNAS console. Have no network connection
* In the console running `ifconfig` shows that none of the interfaces (two of which are plugged into my switch and are lighting up) are connected or have IPs
* NIC lights up and shows up with `ifconfig`. Therefore I don't believe this is a hardware issue.
* I tried running `/etc/netcli` to configure the network interface and see what options I have.
* I get python errors with the netcli commands
* Not sure what is causing all this but it doesn't seem good.
* My best guess is a failed TrueNAS upgrade and I didn't notice the issue until now.

What should I do?
Is there a offline manual update process I can use?
Can I re-install TrueNAS from a thumb drive without losing my existing configuration?

Any pointers or direction appreciated. I'm still learning TrueNAS coming from Linux :)

NugentS

MVP
Do you have a copy of the config file?
If yes - then just rebuild onto a good USB thumb drive, load the config and see what happens - should help with the debugging. Not a good idea to keep that setup - but it should help debug
If no - then the config should be available on the main pool - just not sure where

kepford

Cadet
I was able to copy the freenas-v1.db DB onto a thumb drive and inspect it and check it for database corruption. It seems like it is ok.
I will try installing what you suggest here. Thanks!

kepford

Cadet
Booted from the latest TrueNAS ISO on a usb flash drive:
Installed fresh copy of TrueNAS on another flash drive
After the GUI loaded I uploaded my old DB in the GUI
Rebooted
All my settings came back

Jail
VM
Pools
Settings

So far everything looks good. Thanks for your help

NugentS

MVP
Looks like the TrueNAS Mini E+ boots from a SataDom (16GB)
Now you know your pools etc are good - its time to reinstall on the SataDom and then reload the config again. If that works then great - or maybe the SATADom is knackered.
Make sure the system Dataset is on the main pool, and not the USB / SataDom
And if you want to stick with the USB then I suggest a mirror, with two different makes - or replace the SataDom (if needed)

kepford

Cadet
The system dataset is on the main pool so at some point today I'll reinstall the OS on the SATADom and re-import the config file. Thanks for you help.

NugentS

MVP
Good luck