SOLVED Updated to 13.0-U1 - After reboot - doesn't connect to network and can't connect to monitor.

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
I update my Freenas Mini XL box from Truenas 13 to 13 U1 yesterday, and after rebooting I was never able to get network access. I shut it down and connected it to a monitor, and the monitor is not displaying any information (it acts as if its not getting any signal from the Freenas Box). On restarting, the network jack lights up that its communicating, and the various drives spin up (a very recognizable sound) but the assigned IP address does not come up (after checking the DHCP leases on my router) and nothing comes up via the plugged in monitor.

Any ideas where to go next with this?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Have you ever used the IPMI? You may be able to see the console there.

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
I'm not sure if I had it turned off or not, I can connect the IPMI and get the IP address that way - but when I access that page I get the ASRockRack log in, but my TrueNas User Name and password don't work, so I don't know how to log in to it.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Default login for the IPMI is admin/admin or admin/password.

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
Thank you for the information - I will give this a try when I get home (at the office right now) in about 2 hours!

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
OK - so I am able to log into IPMI - but I've never seen this stuff before... (and I've never used IPMI before) and the documentation I've downloaded from Asrock doesn't match this web app in the least...

I've tried to use the remote control console redirection, but all that happens is that it downloads a 'jviewer.jnlp' file

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to start this in a sufficiently old Java implementation with all security checks switched off. Java for virtual console sucks ... relic of the last century or so.

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
Thank you! Luckily I'm running Linux and was able to install icedtea and got this up... big old blank screen, but then I used the remote console to shut down the server and start it back up... and after a few minutes I see...

Missing boot loader

So I'm figuring that is a bit detrimental to this whole operation!

So I'm assuming something didn't go right in the 13 to 13U1 update.

Advice?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Boot from a stock FreeBSD 13.1 medium (CD/DVD or USB) if you want to examine what's broken. Have a decent amount of FreeBSD experience at hand :wink:

To get the system back up and running as fast as possible reinstall, then import your last saved config. If you don't have a last saved config, recreate from scratch.

Messing up the boot pool does happen. But in nearly all cases your data is never at risk. It's all still safe in that magic ZFS data structures on your storage discs.

HTH,
Patrick

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
Well as I have a minimal amount of FreeBSD experience... I'll go for the reinstall 13U1 and go from there... In all actuality this was going to go from 13-U1 to SCALE as it's on Linux, which I am way more comfortable with.

Wisely on my part, I both backed up the config (with passwords) and the ZFS data prior to updating... so worst case is rebuilding from scratch (which I'd like to avoid) but it's better than a new system - or at least a new motherboard install.

Time to update Ventoy and put TrueNas on it!

DoctorKraz

Dabbler
Out of curiousity - is there a way (and if so, is it difficult) to upgrade the internal 16GB ssd/flash card that is being using as the main drive to a bigger drive?