TrueNAS Core System extremely slow

_Nordlicht_

Cadet
Hi,

We recently built a true NAS system out of mostly leftover parts, but we did not come to enjoy it yet, since the system is being EXTREMELY slow. About 1MB/s read and write speed.

I tried setting the Server up from scratch, it didn't help.
I tried multiple PC's connected to different parts of my network, 1 via LAN, 3 via a Wireless Connection.
I also checked multiple settings inside my TrueNAS Configuration, didn't find anything that might be slowing the system down.

The system also isn't even under load while I transfer files. The NAS's CPU will maybe be at about 2-3% usage, yet the write and read rates are right around 1MB/s

The 1Gbit Ethernet Connection will max out at 15MB/s according to the True Nas Web interface. I attached a picture for reference:

Screenshot (2518).png

One thing I noticed was that while starting up the NAS will give me an Error regarding a "Virtual Machine". I don't have a VM set up anywhere and don't really know, what the system is trying to tell me in that regard. Is that related maybe?

The Specs are:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSQ-L
CPU: Intel Core i3 6100
RAM: 12GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Boot Drive: 128GB Verbatim VI550 S3
Data Drives: 2x 4TB Samsung 870QVO set up as a "Mirror" pool

If that could help: The Router is from the German Telekom and is called the "Speedport Pro Plus". Do I need to do some setup inside of my router as well maybe? Right now I didn't change anything inside of the routers settings.

The share is an SMB share with the "Restricted" ACL Preset.

Other than that, I only did the most basic TrueNAS setup.

We never wanted to have the fastest NAS in the world, but I'm trying to build this one for my parents who wanted me to help them with this project. For them the NAS will just be used for Backups, Pictures and Videos as well as a few other files. Nothing to crazy, but 1MB/s? That is actually unusable and can't be normal operation.

Sadly, since I have next to no experience with Networking equipment, I have no idea where to even start troubleshooting. I may get there eventually via extensive research and trial and error, but it would be much appreciated if someone was able to help me.

I know I will definetely have forgotten something important. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you and a happy new year to everybody.

Greetings from Germany

awasb

Patron
Just a hint: many small files won't saturate the1GiB-line. Did you ever try a single big archive or movie file (big as "several GBs")?

Besides: I'd check/swap cables first. NICs second (if there is any RealTek involved, try to avoid to use that machine for testing). If that doesn't help, get a switch and hook it between your speedport router and clients / server (if not hooked up that way already). Retry.

If the above still doesn't work: Who/What connects via what medium/cable to what? Please try to describe as detailed as possible (machine, os, version, interface type - manufacturer - model).

The two most common issues related to your situation that I've personally experienced are a not-fully-supported Network Interface Card (onboard controllers included, an example would be RealTek), and a non-supported drive controller (like a RAID controller).

_Nordlicht_

Cadet
Hey,

Thank you for the answers. Sadly I don't have time to work on the NAS for the next few days, so I will probably answer in about a week or so again.
Thank you still. I'm going to come back. ; )