Upload speed inside jail extremely slow, plex extremely slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyk3k

Cadet
Hey everyone,
My core problem is that trying to stream from plex is really slow and has tons of buffering (streaming to a device on the same local network). In trying to solve this, I figured out two things:
1. my cpu (i5-4440) cant transcode 4k -> 1080p fast enough for some reason

I really don't know why, but even though according to this my cpu should be good enough. However, in the logs, I consistently see this line:
Code:
Jun 16, 2018 13:03:08.966 [0x80c452900] VERBOSE -  * speed => 0.8
which according to this article means that the server isn't transcoding fast enough. However, even with zero transcoding at all (playing a 1080p movie thats around 11Mbps at original quality) plex still buffers.

2. my upload speeds inside jails are extremely slow (download speeds are fine). My freenas system has two jails: transmission and plex. If I jexec into each jail and check the internet speed with speedtest-cli, I get ~280Mbps down (which is normal) and <1Mbps up (often around 0.7-0.8, which is not normal). Even if I don't have the transmission jail running (so I am no longer seeding anything and taking any upload bandwidth), I get the same result--upload is always below 1 Mbps. On my normal desktop computer, I get ~12 Mbps up. Additionally, since this is on a local network, I tried copying a file from the nas to my computer, which resulted in speeds above 100 MBps. As mentioned previously, playing a 1080p movie with a bitrate of around 11Mbps still buffers and no transcoding, and I know it is not an issue with the client because it buffers even when I access plex from a computer connected through an ethernet cable (the nas is connected with an ethernet cable too).

At this point, plex now refuses to play anything, which means it could be plex's problem too. I really want plex to work, so I appreciate any help.

garm

Wizard
First off, tha CPU you have is probably not enough for 4K transcoding. I think the recommendation is 8000 passmark points per stream and you have only 6000 for the whole system.

Secondly, are you talking about LAN throughput or WAN? You say you have 12Mbps on your desktop? That dosent sounds like LAN speeds, what is the LAN performance? Run iperf from around your network to identify where the issue is. Also, if we are talking about WAN; what is your internet connection? What bandwidth is your contract for? What media is it connected with (fiber,dsl,coax)?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You clearly have some kind of network issue.

As for the 4k->1080p thing, the way I handle this is that if I know I'm going to be watching a 4k movie on a device that will require 1080p transcoding, I go ahead and make the "optimized version" for 1080p in advance, which then automatically is selected when I go to play it. You'll find it in your Plex server---just set it to pre-create the 1080p version. Couple hours later, boom, it's ready, already transcoded, as it were.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, i5-4440 == No ECC. I am therefore required to officially chastise you.

/me chastises you.

gt2416

Patron
the i5 4440 is definitively not 4k capable. I can barely run 1 4k hdr transcode off my system, which is like 10 years old but a xeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.