TrueNAS Plex Plugin Extremely Slow scanning music folders

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
I originally installed Plex plugin (March 2022) and it processed 8,000+ albums overnight. It had some issues bringing in some shows ripped from DVD, and then I couldn't connect.
Since I was buttoning up my new case and relocating to my office I reinstalled Plex (Plus). I reordered my music (on a RAIDZ2 6 drive pool) to a smaller subset.

I created the Plex Music library and had it process the music folders. After 12 hours it has only done 68 albums!? TrueNAS shows the pool is happy.
I did change the ACLs slightly. I made the @owner (plex), and plex user itself have full control. The first time I had left the SMB share open.

Side note, I had to power down to adjust the case fan speeds. When I restarted an hour ago Plex started rescanning the music folders. Since then it seems to be redoing all the 68 albums, at a glacial rate. In the past, on FreeNAS and Mac Plex servers I recall rescanning would blast through album folders at a fraction of s second each. This is very strange.

Oh, I am connecting directly on my local net, the ISP is T-Mobile Home so there isn't a port pass-through for plex.tv.

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
I didn't change from the defaults. Early on Plex did say that there were 'modern' agents available in a dialog and I accepted the prompt.

agent1.png

agent2.png

as a side issue, I need to add some sort of audiobook scanner, I have prologue app as client.

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
I found, under Advanced, some more settings. I changed "Plex Music" to "Plex Music Scanner". I used 'Personal Media Artists', though I'm not sure if last.fm is better. My albums were made with VinylStudio, and CDs ripped by iTunes.

It's processing at several hundred albums an hour now. I also changed the ACLs to Open, though I think I'll change them back to @owner and user plex for the next set of music.

CarlB

Dabbler
I found, under Advanced, some more settings. I changed "Plex Music" to "Plex Music Scanner". I used 'Personal Media Artists', though I'm not sure if last.fm is better. My albums were made with VinylStudio, and CDs ripped by iTunes.

It's processing at several hundred albums an hour now. I also changed the ACLs to Open, though I think I'll change them back to @owner and user plex for the next set of music.
I've had to switch to Plex Music Scanner instead of Plex Music. Not sure how much the Agent impacts, but I use personal media artsists, as Lidarr adds metadata to my music.

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
Ok, I processed with 'prefer local metadata', 'Plex Music Scanner', and 'Personal Media Artists' Everything went very fast, however, there is no art work for Artists, only Album art. Also, there is no 'Similar Artists' for any Artist page. I changed it to deselect 'prefer local metadata' and it re-scanned. Still no Artist artwork. If I select an Artist and use the elipsis ... to select 'refresh metadata' it will work through each album, then do the artist. Bam, just 5+ minutes later, that single Artist is updated.

I'm no processing more music as 'Plex Music', 'Plex Music', and no checked 'prefer local metadata' I was going about 1 album a minute (slow) - actually 8 artists and 9 albums in 12 minutes. It does have all the art, and even similar artists. Of course with 8000 albums it may take a month.

BTW - I thought I installed the Plex beta (I have the pass). Some web hits mention Premium Libraries (I remember them, they included lyrics). But those options are not available in my plugin. I wonder how I can tell if I have the standard or beta.

I may reload the Plus PlexServer on my Mac mini like I've had in the past. It was much easier to update than FreeNAS. Having Plex in a plugin right there with the data is supposed to be much more tidy.

CarlB

Dabbler
You can try telling it to refresh metadata, but when I had a similar problem with artwork I needed to delete the library and re-create it. The issue isn't specific to FreeNAS, but to Plex.