TrueNAS CORE -> SCALE Online Update Now Available

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS Community,

I'm pleased to announce that the online update images are now available to "sidegrade" from TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8 -> SCALE 22.02.0.

This can be done by navigating to our SCALE download page:

On that page, you will find a link to download a manual update file:

1645797709593.png

NOTE: As always before starting *any* upgrade, please refer to the documentation on what will upgrade and ensure that your backups are up to date.

Click to download the .update file, save it to your local desktop. Then in your TrueNAS CORE UI, you can navigate to System -> Update, and click the "Install Manual Update File" link.

1645797759928.png

Select the file you previously downloaded, and your update will begin!

Good luck, and happy updating!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Not sure how happy I am with shade being thrown on CORE by viewing SCALE as an "upgrade", but I'm sure this will help some folks get to the version that suits their needs best.

I see the terms:
Sidegrade
Update
Upgrade
Migrate

All used more-or-less interchangeably in that post... perhaps causing some to catch the wrong message.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Not sure how happy I am with shade being thrown on CORE by viewing SCALE as an "upgrade", but I'm sure this will help some folks get to the version that suits their needs best.

I see the terms:
Sidegrade
Update
Upgrade
Migrate

All used more-or-less interchangeably in that post... perhaps causing some to catch the wrong message.
It's hard to not use the terms interchangeably. Clicking update and means an "Upgrade" has taken place. Going to 13.0-BETA1 is an "Upgrade" as well, anytime you load "new" software it's an upgrade in my lexicon :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It's hard to not use the terms interchangeably
Fair enough... still hard to see CORE coming off looking like the poor cousin somehow... I'm still a fan. :)

I think Migration or Update work best to not give a mixed message.

garrei

Dabbler
Apologies for bumping a semi-old thread, but I'm a bit new to truenas. I got a plex and a few other plugins running on my truenas core 12.0-U7 at the moment and I'm looking for a way to use an old GTX1650 I got laying around for hardware transcoding. Would this transfer my plugins over to scale and would hardware transcoding work for plex plugin on scale? I really don't wanna have to start a fresh plex library as I have a LOT of custom tags, collections, descriptions, artworks etc that I don't want to re-do.

So yeah, essentially, asking what issues am I gonna face if I do this sidegrade? Is it even feasible?

NugentS

MVP
plugins != containers.
If you move to scale - you will need to setup all the containers anew. Whether you can transfer the plex data folders is another matter.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hardware transcoding should work with that GPU on SCALE.

As far as moving apps over, you would need to setup Plex fresh, but then copy the Plex Data directory over. The upgrade won't wipe any of your Plugin data, so it'll still be there, you just need to expose it to the Plex App on SCALE properly, and then all your configuration should persist.

garrei

Dabbler
So id just set up a new plex plugin on scale and replace the relevant plex folders? Nothing else to it?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Its more or less the same process as copying plex to another server.

You need to locate the plex server config, which is located inside the plugin jail (Typically under /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/<jail>/root/usr/local/plexdata).

From there, I moved that "Library/" directory to another dataset on my pool (I used /mnt/tank/apps/plex).

Then when I deployed Plex on SCALE, I posted the host volume at the new /mnt/tank/apps/plex location.

1650553327302.png

garrei

Dabbler
Awesome, thanks for the assist Kris. I'll give it a go over the weekend :)

LennySh

Cadet
Hello all... Is there a list of all things that do NOT migrate over when migrating from CORE to SCALE? I fully know the jails/plugins do not migrate (I've already migrated those manually over to my ProxMox cluster). I'm more interested in the SHARES, USERS, GROUPS, etc... So far, plugins/jails are the only thing I've seen mentioned that doesn't migrate (which I understand fully)... Is there a complete list somewhere?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Plugins / Jails do not migrate over. Shares, Users, Groups, Pools, Datasets, VMs and related items all migrate.

azsose

Cadet
TrueNAS Community,

I'm pleased to announce that the online update images are now available to "sidegrade" from TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8 -> SCALE 22.02.0.

This can be done by navigating to our SCALE download page:

On that page, you will find a link to download a manual update file:

View attachment 53511

NOTE: As always before starting *any* upgrade, please refer to the documentation on what will upgrade and ensure that your backups are up to date.

Click to download the .update file, save it to your local desktop. Then in your TrueNAS CORE UI, you can navigate to System -> Update, and click the "Install Manual Update File" link.

View attachment 53512

Select the file you previously downloaded, and your update will begin!

Good luck, and happy updating!
Getting this error and it is killing my MBR and ruining my install of Core in the process -

[EFAULT] Command ['grub-install', '--target=i386-pc', '/dev/da0'] failed with exit code 1: Installing for i386-pc platform. grub-install: error: diskboot.img size must be 512 bytes.