TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0 (Angelfish) Release

beardmann

Cadet
@beardmann
I haven't tried this on TrueNAS yet, but making a guess based on generic Debian/Red Hat experience, it sounds like you do not have the BIOS boot and/or the EFI system partition on the new disk?

My TrueNAS OS disk has three partitions on it.

They have partition types:
  1. ef02 BIOS boot partition
  2. ef00 EFI system partition
  3. bf01 Solaris /usr & Mac ZFS
The first is needed for a BIOS (meaning non EFI) boot from a GPT partitioned disk.

The second is needed to boot using EFI and is a vfat file system. This cannot be RAIDed. It is usually (in Red Hat/Debian) mounted at /boot/efi, but isn't on TrueNAS Scale for some reason. You can just mount it and copy the contents over to the new disk once it is partitioned and has a filesystem.

The 3rd is for the boot-pool pool/vdev and is the rest of the disk.

I have notes somewhere on how to fo all of this for a vanilla Debian/Red Hat system if needed.
The reason that I bring this up, is that this is something that can bring a system down quite easy... and what it even worse, is that you may start out with a mirror like I did... then if one of your drives fail and you replace it, you will not find out that your system is unable to boot... until you reboot of cause...

The system does create three partitions on both disks:
root@truenas[/]# lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 20G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 1M 0 part ├─sda2 8:2 0 512M 0 part └─sda3 8:3 0 19.5G 0 part sdb 8:16 0 20G 0 disk ├─sdb1 8:17 0 1M 0 part ├─sdb2 8:18 0 512M 0 part └─sdb3 8:19 0 19.5G 0 part

and the boot pool is ok:
NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM boot-pool ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 sda3 ONLINE 0 0 0 sdb3 ONLINE 0 0 0

I can see that / and /boot/grub is mounted from the boot-pool... which is mirrored..

root@truenas[/]# mount | grep boot boot-pool/ROOT/22.02.RELEASE on / type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/grub on /boot/grub type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system on /var/db/system type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/cores on /var/db/system/cores type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/samba4 on /var/db/system/samba4 type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/syslog-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f on /var/db/system/syslog-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/rrd-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f on /var/db/system/rrd-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/configs-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f on /var/db/system/configs-782595d4363048b99e75310cc20adc4f type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/webui on /var/db/system/webui type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/services on /var/db/system/services type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/glusterd on /var/db/system/glusterd type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/ctdb_shared_vol on /var/db/system/ctdb_shared_vol type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl) boot-pool/.system/cores on /var/lib/systemd/coredump type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,posixacl)

So my guess it that the boot-block/signature/whatever is not written to the replaced disk, which leaves the system unbootable.

As mentioned, this can be replicated by just creating a VM with two disks, installing TrueNAS Scale onto the two disks, and then simulate a disk failure of the first disk (sda). With the disk gone, the VM can boot from sdb, but as you do a replacement with a new virtual disk and do a replace on the boot-pool... it resilvers OK, (it then fails with the error described in my first post).. but even if I re-run the grub-install manually (which completed OK)... it is now unable to boot of sda.

Is it just a grub command that needs to be executed on the replaced disk in order to make it bootable?
Would be very nice if this just worked out of the box... is that too much to ask? Is it hard or complicated?
Might just end up mirroring the boot disks with a server RAID card if this doesn't work :smile:

/B

mkarwin

Dabbler
Just a quick question - is there a direct Beta -> Release upgrade option or do we have to go through Beta -> RC2 -> Release?

Zain

Contributor
22.02-RC.2 update to latest seems to have gone well here on my end. Thanks.

ironjohnjohn

Cadet
We are pleased to announce the release of TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0 (Angelfish). It is the first official release of TrueNAS SCALE. We hope you will enjoy it.

Release Notes: https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/scale/22.02.0/
Download: https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale/

Thanks for trying TrueNAS SCALE 22.02.0, and as always, we appreciate all your feedback!
Hello

Sorry for my noob question

I'm using truenas core for a year now and it works perfectly.
I'm interesting about scale because it's a debian environment and it include docker.
My question is about the actual version 22.02.0 , the 0 is for nightly so for developers or i can use it for my personal use.
Sorry if it's a silly question but i prefer to be sure before migrate

thx

Janus0006

Dabbler
Since I migrated to 22.02, all my NFS share are now RO. I did not changed anything. Am I the only one with this issue ? I tried to recreate a share, and same issue. In this update, something changed somewhere in permission ? local ?

exodus454

Dabbler
Since I migrated to 22.02, all my NFS share are now RO. I did not changed anything. Am I the only one with this issue ? I tried to recreate a share, and same issue. In this update, something changed somewhere in permission ? local ?
Also facing this. I never had any users specified to begin with, showmount -e still lists the exports, everytime I try to connect I get permission denied as soon as I try to enter the folder.

I have two installations I upgraded and it's happening with both.

jlmr

Cadet
I am also having issue with NFS. try to start and get failed to start service, have rebooted nothing, went back to rc2 and works fine, a week later tried to update this time manually downloading update file and still same issue, thank you for the option to go back to previous install with a few clicks, so not at a loss. Not sure how to handle issues with the middleware system, as I am sure this is where the problem lies. Every other service works fine after upgrade that I can tell for the short time was on the release.

Janus0006

Dabbler

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I am also having issue with NFS. try to start and get failed to start service, have rebooted nothing, went back to rc2 and works fine, a week later tried to update this time manually downloading update file and still same issue, thank you for the option to go back to previous install with a few clicks, so not at a loss. Not sure how to handle issues with the middleware system, as I am sure this is where the problem lies. Every other service works fine after upgrade that I can tell for the short time was on the release.

Does this look like the issue?

jlmr

Cadet
Nope, NFS service will not start. don't quote me on this but looking back from last week's search on this I have this, and if I remember right this was the error msg I got when trying to start from the services tab.
Code:
nfs-idmapd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Today after upgrade I just went past it and rebooted into rc2 as kinda need nfs to work for my other system, and don't have time right now to fresh install, just hoping that there is a work around. If you need debugs or anything I can retry next weekend when I have time.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Nope, NFS service will not start. don't quote me on this but looking back from last week's search on this I have this, and if I remember right this was the error msg I got when trying to start from the services tab.
Code:
nfs-idmapd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Today after upgrade I just went past it and rebooted into rc2 as kinda need nfs to work for my other system, and don't have time right now to fresh install, just hoping that there is a work around. If you need debugs or anything I can retry next weekend when I have time.
Yes, please report the bug. If its duplicate to another, we'll let you know.

lbarouf

Cadet
My pool shows as degraded after migrating from CORE to Scale. Can this be a logical error or has to be physical since 1 drive shows degraded and another UNAVAILABLE? I'm running a long SMART test on the UNAVAILABLE one. The Degraded one failed the test. I find the coincidence of this happening immediately after the migration concerning.
What should I look at?

adoteq

Cadet
I didnt know about this thread. Anyway, same issue from 22.02.0. I get a update notification for 22.02.RELEASE, but fails to upgrade due to downgrade.

Also, I get a lot of issues with permissions. For example, permissions seem to change after some time, making it impossible to delete files after a few hours for example. That's why I am now doing everything as root. Otherwise permissions break.

Neojim

Cadet
I'm facing the same issue as f3_. I installed Truenas SCALE RC2 a few weeks ago and upgraded today using the UI.
After the upgrade I'm presented with another upgrade, but it fails with
Code:
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02.0 to 22.02.RELEASE

I rolled back to RC2 to double check which version it was installing and interestingly my RC2 upgrade screen looks like sybreeder's.

View attachment 53388

But after applying this upgrade and rebooting, I'm presented with another upgrade that looks like:

View attachment 53389

And then results in the error.
View attachment 53390

It feels like the ".RELEASE" part of the version number is missing somewhere and that's why the system thinks there is another upgrade.
I got this also. Hope they find a patch.

Belaial

Cadet
I was not able to get my NFS share working on 22.02.0, I am no expert but I checked what I could to get it working.

My share is simple, just one folder shared for my raspberry pi with access from it's IPs

1646127902252.png

I upgraded from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2 and all was working there.

Once in 22.02.0 I checked that my /etc/exports existed and they did, also with my knowledge they looked correctly configured (I have no log of this but if needed I can boot back to 22.02.0 to collect info)
I tried everything I could think of, reboot, disable / enable NFS service, edited the NFS share but nothing helped, every time I tried to mount it I got the following error

root@raspberrypi:/# mount -v -t nfs 192.168.0.77:/mnt/Backup-HDD/Jonas/Raspberry/rsync /mnt/truenas/
mount.nfs: timeout set for Tue Mar 1 11:13:57 2022
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'vers=4.2,addr=192.168.0.77,clientaddr=192.168.0.12'
mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.0.77:/mnt/Backup-HDD/Jonas/Raspberry/rsync

Once I had done all I could with my knowledge I rebooted my Truenas back to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.2 and then all started to work as before. I can if needed go back to 22.02.0 to help and try to solve this, my environment is just for home use so no critical uptime or anything in the way to help out.

I'm facing the same issue as f3_. I installed Truenas SCALE RC2 a few weeks ago and upgraded today using the UI.
After the upgrade I'm presented with another upgrade, but it fails with
Code:
Error: [EFAULT] Unable to downgrade from 22.02.0 to 22.02.RELEASE

I rolled back to RC2 to double check which version it was installing and interestingly my RC2 upgrade screen looks like sybreeder's.

View attachment 53388

But after applying this upgrade and rebooting, I'm presented with another upgrade that looks like:

View attachment 53389

And then results in the error.
View attachment 53390

It feels like the ".RELEASE" part of the version number is missing somewhere and that's why the system thinks there is another upgrade.
I think that 22.02.0 and 22.02.RELEASE are same version.

Janus0006

Dabbler