TrueNAS Core on Dell Poweredge T330

technobabble

Cadet
Hi Everyone!

Total noob here so my apologies for any and all basic and/or stupid questions in advance.

I am planning to install TrueNAS Core on a used Dell Poweredge T330 with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.4GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T, turbo (80W) and 32GB of ram. I just wanted some advice on whether this server would work using TrueNAS Core? It has a H730 PERC (Poweredge Raid COntroller), and I know that Hardware Raid controllers don't play well with ZFS ( or atleast don't allow me to make full use of the benefits of ZFS). Is there any way around this? Coudl I replace or bypass the PERC and still have this server work?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
am planning to install TrueNAS Core on a used Dell Poweredge T330 with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 3.4GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T, turbo (80W) and 32GB of ram. I just wanted some advice on whether this server would work using TrueNAS Core?
Sure.
It has a H730 PERC (Poweredge Raid COntroller), and I know that Hardware Raid controllers don't play well with ZFS ( or atleast don't allow me to make full use of the benefits of ZFS). Is there any way around this? Coudl I replace or bypass the PERC and still have this server work?
Yeah, just replace it. It's a standard PCIe card in those things, right? If so, just replace it with any of the standard recommended cards. If it's a Dell-proprietary mezzanine, you can either ignore it or replace it with a Dell HBA330 mini.

technobabble

Cadet
Sure.

Yeah, just replace it. It's a standard PCIe card in those things, right? If so, just replace it with any of the standard recommended cards. If it's a Dell-proprietary mezzanine, you can either ignore it or replace it with a Dell HBA330 mini.
Thanks! Yeah I believe the PERC is just a PCIe card but I'll have to confirm. Would you happen to know where I could get a list of recommended cards?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

technobabble

Cadet
So it took me awhile, but I finally found the time to check on the PERC in my T330 server and good news is it does seem to be a PICe card!
I took a look at the hardware guide, and it's more about what type of cards I should get, not really specifying actual cards to get. And since I'm a total noob at this, I don't know where to start.

Is there an alternative to buying a hardware RAID controller? Could I maybe buy a PCIE sata expansion card instead? Not sure about this since the connector looks different on a PERC.

Also, in the guide it mentions that the baseline for RAM is 1GB per 1TB. I intend to have 4x 12TB Drives and I currently only have 32GB of RAM so looks like I'll need to take care of that too, although the uDIMM RAM sticks for this server ain't that cheap.. so that sucks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there an alternative to buying a hardware RAID controller? Could I maybe buy a PCIE sata expansion card instead?
Yes and no. See:

Also, in the guide it mentions that the baseline for RAM is 1GB per 1TB. I intend to have 4x 12TB Drives and I currently only have 32GB of RAM so looks like I'll need to take care of that too, although the uDIMM RAM sticks for this server ain't that cheap.. so that sucks.
It's a rule of thumb and you're encouraged to test your workload and see for yourself if performance is acceptable, keeping in mind that it may degrade somewhat as data accumulates.

technobabble

Cadet
Just to update, I've purchased a LSI 9211-8i CONTROLLER IT MODE HBA PCI-E 6Gb that's already flashed for ZFS :). Should arrive next week... excited!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Hardware Raid controllers don't play well with ZFS ( or atleast don't allow me to make full use of the benefits of ZFS).
It's more like you put your data at risk, and not about loosing part of the functionality of ZFS.