Dell Server Recommendations (Raid Controller for RAIDz2)

Chris Dill

Contributor
My Current TrueNAS Core is running on Dell Poweredge T430. It has 72GB of RAM and RAIDZ2 with 6 5 TB disks. I tried to add in some SSD's in a mirror for boot, but the raid controller was all funked up and it had a limit on recognizing number of drives. Its was originally a PERC H730 Controller, 1GB NV Cache, But I swapped to SAS9211-8I IT Mode and it was hell to setup.

I have access to a lot of Dell servers at work, which spec would be good to add in more disks? Which Dell PERC is ideal for RAIDz2 and would allow me to upgrade storage? I have messed around with S RAID controllers which was a bad experience, obviously. I will have access to a H330/H730/H 730P in short order.

I have not built a TrueNAS in 4 ish years, so a little rusty on what I can do from a controller standpoint that will work with TrueNAS RAIDz2, Any help appreciated.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
No RAID controller ever for ZFS. Get an HBA with IT mode firmware. The latter is fundamentally(!) different from running a RAID controller in IT mode.

For more information, please check the recommended readings in my signature.

beagle

Explorer
A Dell HBA330 should work. I used one as a drop-in replacement for a H330 on a T630 when I installed TrueNAS.

It shows in the Lifecycle Controller and you can update the firmware using Dell tooling.

Just bear in mind that once you install a HBA330 the fans will spin up to a minimum of 20% because the system won't be able to read disks temperature. You can work around that with a fan management script to externally manage the fans speed via IPMI.

firesyde424

Contributor
A Dell HBA330 should work. I used one as a drop-in replacement for a H330 on a T630 when I installed TrueNAS.

It shows in the Lifecycle Controller and you can update the firmware using Dell tooling.

Just bear in mind that once you install a HBA330 the fans will spin up to a minimum of 20% because the system won't be able to read disks temperature. You can work around that with a fan management script to externally manage the fans speed via IPMI.
There is also a fan offset in the iDRAC that can take care of this as well.