Newbie | Used T330 Build Critique

benfrey

Cadet
Hi everyone,

New TrueNas Core user here. PSU on my old 2009 Dell Studio XPS 435 MT desktop running Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS finally went out and am looking to expand. I have included details for my used T330 build and planned configuration below. Based on this configuration, I have two brief questions:
  1. For my Pool A, what drives and pool configuration does anyone recommend to hit at least 500MB/s read/write when accessing the server on my local network?
  2. I have heard of installing my TrueNas Core boot partition on the Poweredge’s Internal Dual SD Module with success [1]. Is this a viable solution, and if not, does anyone have any suggestions on where to mount a drive inside the T330 chassis?
Recently, I purchased the following components for a new TrueNas Core build:

Tower: Dell Poweredge T330 ($300)
CPU: Xeon E3-1230 V5 (included in tower purchase)
RAID Card: PERC H730 (included in tower purchase)
HDD: 5x 3TB Hitachi 7200RPM SAS 3.5” [hus723030ALs640] ($30/drive)
RAM: 2x 8GB Hyinx PC4-19200 UDIMM ECC ($43/stick)
SSD: ???
NVMe: ???

I plan to run the PERC in HBA mode. I have 8 3.5” drive slots to work with. Here is my planned pool configuration:

Pool A: 2-4x SSD or HDD? - I'm looking to spend =<$400 for 4TB-6TB storage capacity for media file access.
Pool B: 4x 3TB Hitachi drives in RAIDZ1 (9TB cap) - Used for overnight device backups (1x 2021 Mac, 2x desktop computers)

Other details: 1-2 users, prefer high reliability, and the server will be dedicated to file severing (no VMs). I am not opposed to initial setup complexity (i.e., using an NVMe drive for SLOG, L2ARC, etc.)

Thank you in advance and I apologize for my lack of understanding. I have read a few of the primers posted by jgreco (thank you!), but would like some build critique if it is not too much to ask.

Sincerely,
Ben

References:
[1] https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/installing-scale-onto-dell-internal-dual-sd-module.95259/

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I plan to run the PERC in HBA mode.

There's no such thing. Despite Dell desperately wanting the lobotomization of a RAID card to be "equal to" an HBA, it doesn't actually make it an HBA.

Please see