First Truenas homelab - Dell T330

luckyz0r

Cadet
Hello,

I want to build a NAS with TrueNAS, I've already saw a lot of posts but I still have some dougths, so I'm searching for advice.
I live in Europe and some hardware parts are really expensive here or they don't even exists.

My TrueNAS will be used to store photos, videos, daily backups of smartphones (photos, videos, documents, etc...), jellyfin for movies and tv series, transcode 1 or 2 users at the same time.
Maybe I will use it for some dockers, like uptime-kuma, homepage, wireguard, adguard...

I found this on ebay for 330€ :

DELL PowerEdge T330
Intel Core i3-6100 2-Core 3.70 GHz (4-Threads, 3.70 GHz Turbo, 3 MB Cache)
8 GB DDR4 RAM
DELL PERC H730 for backpane
1x Standard 8-way Hot Plug 3.5" LFF Backplane (SAS/SATA)
embedded PERC S130
2x 300 GB 6G 10K SAS 2.5" SFF
1x 495 Watt
DELL iDRAC8 Remote Management (Enterprise Version)
DELL EMC TPM Trusted Platform Module - Version 2.0

Will this work for my needs?

I think I will buy more ram, DDR3 1600 ECC x 32GB should be good
2 ssd's for OS * 500GB in mirror
I have already 4*4TB WD RED and want to use them, I will need one more for raidz2.

I read about zfs cache, what do I need for that?

thank you for you help

Ivan

Arwen

MVP
I don't have knowledge about the disk controllers, whether they are suitable for ZFS or not. Nor, do I have much comment about your applications.

But, the CPU is a bit light weight for all that you plan on using. Part of the issue is that when the regular ZFS scrubs occur, the server will be a bit busy. Same for re-silvering a replacement disk.

Some people design a server based on one application at a time. However, sometimes multiple actions occur at the same time causing both user slow down, and extended actions, (like the afore mentioned ZFS scrub).

Check your WD Reds and make sure they are not SMR drives. Search the forums if you need hints on SMR / CMR.