Homelab Dell T330 - VMware/RAID/FreeNAS Server Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjain

Dabbler
I have a T330 with a Xeon E3-1240 V6, H330 Controller, 32GB ECC DDR4. I'm planning to add a few 4TB drives I already have and go for a RAIDZ2. Maybe go for 8x4TB when I end up liking using FreeNAS.

I've passthrough'ed the Dell H330 controller to the FreeNAS VM and so far it worked fine. I just added 1 drive to test. I'm getting 32GB more RAM at Amazon.co.uk, so I can give FreeNAS some more memory.
  • I have 3 usable PCIe slots, 1x 16, 2x 8.
  • I've placed a Samsung Pro 960 in a M2-NVMe adaptor 4, H330 8 and 10Gbit card 4, so all 3 PCIe slots are in use.
  • I still have 2x250GB NVMe SSD's (WD Black 256GB) lying here.
I was thinking maybe replacing the M2-NVMe adaptor by one that has 2 ports and use those SSD's for both the L2ARC and ZIL/SLOG.

Any tips are welcome. I guess losing a few seconds worth of data when the server crashes (write cache), wouldn't be the worst, but I really do want a reliable NAS. I'm migrating away from a raid-5 solution with an Atom CPU, that was extremely slow and raid-5 obviously isn't reliable either.

Tips are very welcome!

Stux

MVP
For the dual slot m.2 carrier card to work your bios/board needs to support PCIe bifurcation and the card needs a clock buffer. Alternatively, the card needs a PCIe switch.

M.2 drives without PLP are not really suitable for SLOG. You could use a Sata drive with PLP for the slog.

I've setup a similar AIO here

ujjain

Dabbler
Thanks, the Supermicro dual NVMe is indeed not working unfortunately as the card needs PCIe bifurcation, but I don't find this option in the Dell bios at all.
Your set-up looks great. I actually considered it before, but unfortunately it only has 1 PCIe slot and not many motherboard mention if they support PCIe bifurcation or not.

I bought a very cheap Supermicro motherboard on Amazon, I might play with that if the real product actually arrives, which I don't think it will for many reasons.
6fLgO6T.png

You are right about SSD's, but I didn't have many SATA slots. The WD Black 256GB might make for a good L2ARC because of high read speed? Although far too big. How much should I pay for a P3700 on eBay?

Stux

MVP
Thanks, the Supermicro dual NVMe is indeed not working unfortunately as the card needs PCIe bifurcation, but I don't find this option in the Dell bios at all.
Your set-up looks great. I actually considered it before, but unfortunately it only has 1 PCIe slot and not many motherboard mention if they support PCIe bifurcation or not.

Thanks, I was well aware of the limitation, but I have Wife Acceptance to think of :)

Full PCIe switch version is an option

I bought a very cheap Supermicro motherboard on Amazon, I might play with that if the real product actually arrives, which I don't think it will for many reasons.
6fLgO6T.png

You are right about SSD's, but I didn't have many SATA slots. The WD Black 256GB might make for a good L2ARC because of high read speed? Although far too big.

Perhaps use the as pool SSDs?

How much should I pay for a P3700 on eBay?

No idea. None were available when I looked, and I had a business reason to proceed, so paid retail (discounted, but still)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
6fLgO6T.png
Holy crap, that's an insane deal. Too bad it's a workstation board.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They don't apply at all to anything that uses DDR4, except for the "LGA115x doesn't take UDIMMs" part.

ujjain

Dabbler
I've always thought Xeon E3 (LGA 1150/1151) motherboards generally take ECC UDIMM and Xeon E5 motherboards take ECC RDIMM (or LRDIMM).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
E5s support UDIMMs as well. LRDIMMs are not supported on E5-16xx models.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you have them, it can't hurt to try.

ujjain

Dabbler
Yep, just hoping the equipment will arrive on time before the return deadline expires, but we'll see.

I might want to send back 32GB UDIMM to Amazon anyway, if this Supermicro board prefers RDIMM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.