Build Advice

bitstorage

Cadet
Looking for some advice from people with similar size setup and/or similar size "end goal"

Currently I have about 10TB of data storage for "non-critical" backups. Stuff that I back up but isn't REALLY critical to have. The issue is this data is growing so my next backup server I'm looking at building will be 20TB of usable storage.

I'm looking at the following build:

Dell PowerEdge R720
2x E5-2667v2 @ 3.3Ghz
8x 4TB 7.2k Drives
128GB DDR3 ECC ram
4x Gigabit NIC
2x 10GBe SFP+
Perc H310
iDRAC enterprise

The goal with the above hardware would be to have 20TB of storage using RAIDz3.

Eventually as needed I'd grab a PERC H800 or H200e external SAS card to throw in the poweredge and then add a MD1200 powervault with 12x 4TB drives.

Would this work? Any changes or suggestions would appreciate it.

NugentS

MVP
You need to flash the H310 to IT Mode before starting. Other than that looks good

One caveat what chipsets are the Gb NICs and the 10Gb NICS?

bitstorage

Cadet
Thanks NugentS, both are Intel to my knowledge. I was aware of the H310.

Do you think I'll be alright with only 128GB ram if I add a powervault with another 12x 4TB?

NugentS

MVP
Its backups. 128 is PLENTY (oodles) of memory for that - I back up to an 8GB unit.
Are you planning on using dedupe? You might need a LOT more memory if using dedupe - don't use dedupe!!

bitstorage

Cadet
Its backups. 128 is PLENTY (oodles) of memory for that - I back up to an 8GB unit.
Are you planning on using dedupe? You might need a LOT more memory if using dedupe - don't use dedupe!!
Yeah it wont be running VMs or anything. It's basically just going to be equivalent to a really big ass qnap but with better hardware and my hope is better performance and redundancy.

It's all Veeam backup files from our infrastructure.

I was going to use dedupe but thanks for the heads up. I'll plan for no dedupe.

bitstorage

Cadet

Hi Nugents, H800 doesn't look like it can be flashed to IT mode. I found a LSI SAS9207-8e on ebay, was going to pick up two(one for a spare) and it says 8 port. I've not worked with external SAS controllers before but based on my experience that should work for the 12x 4TB drives in the MD1200 I'm looking at buying.

Are you able to confirm that for me?

NugentS

MVP
I can't - I don't know the kit.
If the MD1200 has an expander then you should be fine is how I understand things.

bitstorage

Cadet
It doesn't come with a HBA to install inside the server and since the MD1200 is just an SAS Enclosure I thought it best to purchase an LSI SAS9200-8e, two to be specific. As the MD1200 is 16 drives, and each of these LSI 9200-8e show 8 lanes I figured 16 lanes may make sense.

NugentS

MVP
I guess you will find out how many cables are needed when it arrives