trueNAS Core can't login with root from pc, only cell phone browser

kfelger1

Cadet
Hello all!

I can only log in using cell phone browser, but I have tried a desktop and laptop and neither work. At first I get a message "connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network. After a few seconds it goes back to the log in screen and my username is shown and you can see I entered a password, and the line on the top is just moving (showing it is thinking). It just sits there and I've tried for hours, while doing other stuff, and I never have seen a real error message.

I'm new to servers and all this, pretty good with pc's in general and troubleshooting. Since I have figured out that I can log in with cell I have not made any changes. So this is a brand new install using flash drive.

Stuff I've tried...
  • 2 different computers - no difference
  • firefox, chrome, edge (on both pc's) - no difference
  • I've rebooted TrueNAS CORE multiple times
  • tried plugging ethernet into different ports on back of router/modem
  • I intentionally put the wrong password in - it is very quick to come back with error.
  • I've shut down anti virus/ firewall so nothing would block the connection
  • I can ping the ip (not sure what is important) but average 10ms, no packets loss.

Thanks for any help and advice! Sorry if it is something really simple :)

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What browser extensions are you running? In particular, the UI needs WebSockets to work, and some extensions (e.g., ad blocking) may block that. Try running a browser session with all extensions off.