web UI won't load after disk removal attempt, sudo saying wrong password

ricka777

Cadet
Hi, first post!

I had a spare disk in my fairly new TrueNas (latest release) server. I wanted to remove it from the system, relocate it on a different controller, than add it to an existing raid pool. I attempted to remove it from the ui, which it indicated it was working on it. Then shortly after my interface went away with a message:

Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.

I am still SSH into the machine and I can connect and transfer/browse stuff around through SMB shares just fine. I tried another browser for kicks and got the same message.

I would like to gracefully shutdown the machine, but when I try to sudo shutdown, it is telling me the root password is not correct. I used the password used in creating the machine (the same I log into the UI with), as well as "freenas" and "abcd1234". I have no idea what the password might be otherwise. Short of just powering it off, I feel out of options - any suggestions?

Thank you.

ricka777

Cadet
Okay, I didn't realize I could do things from the local console, as I stuck it in the closet, turned the monitor and lights off and went to remote. Rebooting from the console solved the ui issue. I am still confused why I cannot sudo, but perhaps some combination of characters in the sudo password, it has "^" in it, as it was randomly generated? I checked and my user account has permit sudo turned on.

Note that sudo is asking for the current user's password, not for the root password.

Welcome to the Forums!

ricka777

Cadet
Hey Jurgen. Thank you, that is exactly what I was doing wrong. I am usually logged in as root on my VMs, etc. and I didn't realize sudo needed the current users password.