Strange behavior after replication task

willcycle

Dabbler
I have two servers each running Truenas 13-U2. One server is used for data storage the other server as a backup machine for the first. On my data server I have a cron job which turns on the backup server once a week and then proceeds to process a replication task to back up to it. This works perfectly. On the backup machine I have a cron job to shut it off (using "shutdown -p now") after 4 hours which gives it more than enough time to allow the replication to complete. This is the strange part. The backup machine will not turn off at the scheduled time. If I log into the backup machine from my browser and run the shut down cron job by selecting "Run Now" I get the message it was run successfully but the machine does not turn off. I also noticed the console message pane on the bottom of the page is blank instead of showing messages. If I reboot the backup server and then execute the shutdown cron job it works fine. Also the console messages on the bottom pane are now present.

It appears to me somehow the command interpreter on the backup server shuts off after a period of time. Three and a half hours is the approximate time the backup server remains idle after the replication task. Any ideas about what may be going on?

willcycle

Dabbler
As a test to rule out time alone causing the issue, I let my backup server run for 3.5 hours without activity. I then tried running the shutdown cron job and the machine turned off. I also noticed the console messages were running at the bottom. The mystery continues.