TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U6 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the release notes:
Fix ability to show all snapshots, add regex filtering for snapshot names

How do we use regular expressions to filter the snapshot names? It doesn't seem to work in the search box.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
According to the release notes:

How do we use regular expressions to filter the snapshot names? It doesn't seem to work in the search box.
That sounds like a title of one of my internal developer-facing tickets related to shadow copies. I didn't add regex support at this time. You can use unix wildcards to restrict which snapshots get presented as previous versions to vss clients though though the auxiliary parameters:
shadow:include = aapl-* (only show snapshots beginning with "aapl-"), or shadow:exclude = aapl-* (exclude snapshots with names beginning with "aapl-"). Multiple filters are supported shadow:include = aapl-* vss-* presents snapshots beginning with "aapl-" or "vss-".

It has zero-relation to anything in the webui though - SMB protocol only.

ThreeDee

Guru
except for the CPU temp graphs not showing .. everything else seems just fine

NgM Dat

Dabbler
hi Guys,
After update to TrueNAS-12.0-U6 (CORE),
At menu [Reporting] the the CPU temp graphs not showing...
TrueNAS12.0 U6 CPU Temp 2021-10-13 100643.png

Etorix

Wizard
And this morning, I got an email from iXSystems boasting: "TrueNAS 12.0-U6 is Released & Continues the Forward Momentum in Quality".
Yeah, "forward" as in bringing back memories from issues from U3 and "quality" as in still releasing software updates without any human having a look at the GUI from an actual system!

If anyone from iXSystems is reading here, I cannot overstate how damaging these recurring cosmetic issues are to your image for "quality".

If the fix is as simple a reindexing a loop, TrueNAS 12.0-U6.1 should already be out and correcting this bug.

ghost_za

Dabbler
Hi guys,

Relatively new to the truenas scene
Started using from last release (U5).

I actually created an account while waiting for truenas to boot, just to agree with @Etorix.

Releasing U6 was a mistake, and should have been in beta stages. I've had nothing but problems since upgrading.
That being said, nothing serious broke though. My issues were all with cosmetics, and no critical services were interrupted. So sharing, virtual machines, replication, custom acme, all those things migrated fine to version U6.

The only 1 I consider 'serious' would be the CPU temps issues with U6. Right after upgrade->reboot I couldn't see any CPU temps in Reporting window.
Referring to: Jira
I'm currently trying to remedy the CPU graphs display in Reporting to no avail (so far...).

But then at some point the CPU temp in dashboard stopped showing completely. It did show right after upgrade and might have been some bios setting as I did completely overhaul the storage devices, created new raids, disconnected old ones etc.

I haven't figured this one out, if someone can point me in the right direction as to how to solve this I would appreciate it.

CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 250
MoBo: MSI 790x-G45
TrueNAS version: 12.0-U6

I did mess around with overclocking to get some higher DRAM frequencies for some 1600MHz RAM I got (the other channel runs at 1333MHz), and the mobo/cpu only runs to 1020MHz (without overclocking). So I tried some combo's which might have interfered.

Output of sysctl:
Code:
root@truenas[~]# sysctl -a | grep cpu
kern.smp.cpus: 2
kern.smp.maxcpus: 256
kern.ccpu: 0
  <cpu count="2" mask="3,0,0,0">0, 1</cpu>
kern.sched.cpusetsize: 32
kern.pin_pcpu_swi: 0
kern.racct.pcpu_threshold: 1
kern.hwpmc.nbuffers_pcpu: 32
kern.hwpmc.cpuid: AuthenticAMD-16-06-2
cpu     HAMMER
device  cpufreq
device  cpuctl
kern.vt.splash_cpu_duration: 10
kern.vt.splash_cpu_style: 2
kern.vt.splash_ncpu: 0
kern.vt.splash_cpu: 0
vfs.ncpurgeminvnodes: 16
net.inet.tcp.per_cpu_timers: 0
debug.cpufreq.verbose: 0
debug.cpufreq.lowest: 0
debug.acpi.cpu_unordered: 0
kdb.enter.default=write cn_mute 1; watchdog 38; capture on; bt; show allpcpu; ps; alltrace; write cn_mute 0; textdump dump; reset
hw.ncpu: 2
hw.vmm.bhyve_xcpuids: 396
hw.vmm.topology.cpuid_leaf_b: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C8
hw.intrs: irq0: attimer0:3 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq1: atkbd0:1 @cpu0(domain0): 2
irq3::5 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq4: uart0:7 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq5::9 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq6::11 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq7::13 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq8: atrtc0:15 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq9: acpi0:17 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq10::19 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq11::21 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq12::23 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq13::25 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq14: ata0:27 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq15: ata1:29 @cpu0(domain0): 22167
irq16: ohci0 ohci1:31 @cpu0(domain0): 3
irq17: ehci0:33 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq18: ohci2 ohci3+:35 @cpu0(domain0): 4
irq19: ehci1:37 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq20::39 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq21::41 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq22: ahci0:43 @cpu0(domain0): 11886
irq23::45 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq256: hpet0:t0:49 @cpu0(domain0): 191170
irq257: hpet0:t1:51 @cpu1(domain0): 164190
irq258: hpet0:t2:53 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq259: em0:irq0:55 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq260: em1:irq0:57 @cpu0(domain0): 0
irq261: alc0:59 @cpu0(domain0): 27895
dev.cpufreq.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.cpufreq.0.%pnpinfo:
dev.cpufreq.0.%location:
dev.cpufreq.0.%driver: cpufreq
dev.cpufreq.0.%desc:
dev.cpufreq.%parent:
dev.hwpstate.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.acpi_perf.1.%parent: cpu1
dev.acpi_perf.0.%parent: cpu0
dev.cpu.1.cx_method: C1/hlt
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage_counters: 118071
dev.cpu.1.cx_usage: 100.00% last 11145us
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest: C8
dev.cpu.1.cx_supported: C1/1/0
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 20.0C
dev.cpu.1.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.1.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
dev.cpu.1.%location: handle=\_PR_.P002
dev.cpu.1.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.1.%desc: ACPI CPU
dev.cpu.0.cx_method: C1/hlt
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage_counters: 139252
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% last 6646us
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C8
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1/0
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 3000/32062 2300/27030 1800/23152 800/8492
dev.cpu.0.freq: 3000
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 20.0C
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0

Note: dev.cpu.0/1.temp is showing 20 as it's a tunable I had to set for this specific CPU, without it, it shows -0.0.

Long story short (too late), I'm planning on completely reinstalling U5, where everything worked and hoping this CPU temp thing is all in the upgrade and not in hardware. Which brings me back full circle to this hasn't been an 'upgrade' it's been a pain in my ass. I know shit happens, but from what I hear this isn't the first time this happened.

I would advise to keep app versions in their respective fields longer before moving to release versions

ghost_za

Dabbler
All that being said though, truenas is great and by far the best in category (IMHO). And I def WILL recommend it to other people.

If they can only give us some additional features for the boot-pool drive isolation, I would be a happy camper.

Let me explain what I mean better:
Lets say you want to build an entirely new TrueNAS server. Now you want a boot drive that's small(byte size), preferably fast(to avoid any bottlenecks) and has good reliability.
Problem is: You can't find something that meets all those criteria now a days. Smallest newly manufactured HDD drives is 1TB (might be 500GB, for some companies). Smallest newly manufactured SSD drives is 240(for most companies as far as I know). And using NVMe is discouraged by most of the community, due to it not increasing performance in any meaningful way (right?). Using a USB Flashdrive(or T-Flash) as a boot device is also strongly discouraged.

So whats left now?
Now you have to either install a 240GB SSD or a 500GB HDD. And all you're allowed to use of those drives is the OS and system dataset, which I supposed can turn into 2xx GiB in about 10 years, along with logs.

But come on....
That's just wasteful and stupid.
Atleast allow me to store some of my VMs on it, the VM will benefit greatly from running off a fast storage media such as SSD. And then it might even be viable to start using a NVMe for a boot disk.

I can still replicate my VMs to a RAID setup for redundancy. This is a no-brainer for me, dunno why IXSystems has insisted on this approach for so long

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@ghost_za, have you looked at SATA DOM (disk on module)? These are small SSDs (32-64 GB) that plug directly into a SATA port. Remember to get the associated power cable with it.

ghost_za

Dabbler
So you mean get a mSATA module then get a mSATA converter to SATA. that's something I haven't considered yet.

Where do I look? Like who manufactures it? And what search term should I use

I would still like the option to store VMs on boot disk though. But this is a great stopgap.

But: great idea - Thank you very much.

[mod note: posts consolidated -jg]

Last edited by a moderator:

ThreeDee

Guru
All that being said though, truenas is great and by far the best in category (IMHO). And I def WILL recommend it to other people.

If they can only give us some additional features for the boot-pool drive isolation, I would be a happy camper.

Let me explain what I mean better:
Lets say you want to build an entirely new TrueNAS server. Now you want a boot drive that's small(byte size), preferably fast(to avoid any bottlenecks) and has good reliability.
Problem is: You can't find something that meets all those criteria now a days. Smallest newly manufactured HDD drives is 1TB (might be 500GB, for some companies). Smallest newly manufactured SSD drives is 240(for most companies as far as I know). And using NVMe is discouraged by most of the community, due to it not increasing performance in any meaningful way (right?). Using a USB Flashdrive(or T-Flash) as a boot device is also strongly discouraged.

So whats left now?
Now you have to either install a 240GB SSD or a 500GB HDD. And all you're allowed to use of those drives is the OS and system dataset, which I supposed can turn into 2xx GiB in about 10 years, along with logs.

But come on....
That's just wasteful and stupid.
Atleast allow me to store some of my VMs on it, the VM will benefit greatly from running off a fast storage media such as SSD. And then it might even be viable to start using a NVMe for a boot disk.

I can still replicate my VMs to a RAID setup for redundancy. This is a no-brainer for me, dunno why IXSystems has insisted on this approach for so long
hmm .. .I currently use a 32GB M.2 drive for booting that I got for $10 shipped off of ebay.. before that I picked up 2 x 120GB SSD's that I got for $20 and used one via a USB to SATA cable for a boot drive for quite awhile with zero issues .. I've used 60 and 40GB SSD's in the past as well .. I've never used an HDD for booting though.

Just a quick look on Newegg and I see 32/60GB SSD's on there .. not sure where you are getting your info from..?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Smallest newly manufactured SSD drives is 240(for most companies as far as I know).
I frequently recommended these here on the forum - available new:

Not dirt cheap like an SD card but reasonably priced and with an insane write endurance compared to other drives of similar size.

Phil1295

Explorer
TrueNAS is still the best NAS I ever used, coming from many brands
Users management and SAMBA is just at a pro level

However, it is the first time I update on day 1, as I saw the update log and it seemed safe.
The CPU temp is missing in Reportings, but properly displayed on the dashboard, so not a big deal

However, seems like I am the only one having the Get Started popup after each logout/login and that's really annoying. Hope it will be fixed because having it each time is really annoying

ghost_za

Dabbler
@
ThreeDee

Look closely at my post I specifically said "newly manufactured". Those parts you're getting on ebay might be considered "new" but it's old stock. Places like Seagate and WD doesn't make those drives anymore (as far as I know).

If you can honestly tell me that you wouldn't want to boot some of your VMs off of your boot disk if you have a NVMe drive installed then, you're swimming in cash, for being able to buy 2 SSDs where 1 can do the job.
I understand implementing what I'm suggesting isn't as easy as just changing the GUI, a hell of a lot more work will have to go into it but, I just want it in the pipleline. I want a dev to tell me by version 13 it might be ready.

And, I totally agree with Phil, hands down best NAS distro there is, and I tried every single one I could find.

TrueNAS is still lacking in the reports department, some room for improvement there, but best implementation of ZFS I have seen in an open distro.

And as far as the SSD thing goes, 2 years down the line, you might see what I see. Time will tell.

ghost_za

Dabbler
@
Patrick M. Hausen

I currently have that exact drive installed (512GiB), for a VMs disk, and a old 250GiB HDD for boot, not to mention the lost space, I'm also losing a SATA port. This setup is on an old pc I threw together, so every single SATA port counts.
I'm even planning on buying a PCI-e 2 SATA expansion card just so I can fit another RAID in there.

Take note: That SSD370s' smallest product thats still being manufactured is 240GiB, that's directly from the mouth of a rep from Transcend. The smaller sizes is still available but as old stock and Transcend itself isn't shipping it anymore.

If I had 50 grand (in my currency), this wouldn't matter, cuz I could just go buy everything and not worry about extra bytes being lost or the extra SATA port being wasted.

ghost_za

Dabbler
I got the CPU temps to show in Dashboards again, turns out it WAS a bios setting.

Graphs still not working after trying Samuel's fix - Jira

Here's a debug of middlewared.

Could someone offer me some expertise. Whats going wrong here?

Attachments

• middlewared.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.