TrueNAS Cobia 23.10.0.1 to 23.10.1 - Grub error: unknown filesystem.

oaquique

Cadet
I just upgraded from TrueNAS Cobia 23.10.0.1 to 23.10.1 and upon reboot, my TrueNAS Mini shows GRUB error: unknown filesystem.

How can I recover? Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you save a copy of your configuration file with the password seed? This is typically asked at the beginning of the upgrade.

If you did, I would recommend you reinstall TrueNAS SCALE (latest version) to your boot drive and then restore the configuration file. That should bring thing back online.

oaquique

Cadet
Yes, after the latest TrueNAS SCALE I got a message asking me to upgrade the zpools due to "new flags" - If this is not "recommended", it would be good to remove that alert or change the wording of it.

Fortunately, I saved the config file with the password seed. I'll attempt installing the latest version to the boot drive and loading the config file.
Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, after the latest TrueNAS SCALE I got a message asking me to upgrade the zpools due to "new flags"
You didn't get that message with respect to the boot pool. Other pools, yes, but not the boot pool.

oaquique

Cadet
You didn't get that message with respect to the boot pool. Other pools, yes, but not the boot pool.
Let me clarify something: I didn't update the boot pool on purpose. I simply searched the forums and found threads suggesting running <code>zpool upgrade -a</code>.

If the boot pool shouldn't be upgraded, then the system should have thrown a warning and prevented that action from happening.

Very respectfully, I would rather focus my energy on fixing the issue than dealing with the attitude. It is unnecessary and unhelpful.

oaquique

Cadet
Thanks so much to everybody that provided valuable pointers on how to recover my system: joeschmuck, Kris Moore, ABain. Highly appreciated! I'm back up and running.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I would rather focus my energy on fixing the issue than dealing with the attitude.
He wasn't giving you attitude, he was stating how/when the message is presented. Also for anyone else who reads this thread for advice they would have the most accurate data as possible because we deal with so many people in so many countries. We understand that dealing with an issue can be stressful for the person having the problem.

I am glad you have your NAS running again, that is our goal.

Glowtape

Dabbler
Yeah, the notifications specifically name the pools eligible. Since it was the first guess it this thread, and implied that it happens quite a few time, I'd figure the bit of code generating these notifications should prepend another red highlighted one warning to not do that to the boot pool.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
Yeah, the notifications specifically name the pools eligible. Since it was the first guess it this thread, and implied that it happens quite a few time, I'd figure the bit of code generating these notifications should prepend another red highlighted one warning to not do that to the boot pool.
The issue occurs when people upgrade the boot pool from the command line. This is not something which should be done, having tested I cannot see any notification in the UI to do this, if you are seeing this please share the details & ideally file a bug reports with a debug.

Glowtape

Dabbler
having tested I cannot see any notification in the UI to do this
Well, it's what I posted. It quotes the eligible pools. And that doesn't include the boot pool.

However, given that OP did so on command-line based on what he thought the UI notification said, it might warrant a red banner in the notification drawer, if there's feedback that people keep doing that.

That said, I wouldn't be able to tell you where to upgrade the pools in the UI. (Now it's too late to look up, anyway, since I did on the command line earlier after posting.)

PhilD13

Patron
That said, I wouldn't be able to tell you where to upgrade the pools in the UI. (Now it's too late to look up, anyway, since I did on the command line earlier after posting.)
For others future reference,
In the GUI (UI) the update buttons when available are under Storage Pools. Each eligible data pool would have a blue button to update the pool. Clicking the button will pop up the warning about you might not be able to go back to an earlier version of Truenas if the zfs flags are updated. You have to check the box in the popup before the do it anyway button is enabled.

The boot pool settings and info can be found under can be found under System Settings--> Boot and there are no options in the GUI (UI) for updating the boot pool.

It would be a good idea if a trap with a warning banner containing a default y/N could be placed in the CLI. That would prevent a click through by hitting enter in the CLI when invoking the command and at least give notice you are doing something that can not be undone if it causes issues. Or something along those lines. Does that make some sense?