truenas bootable installation usb creation

Jeremy Guo

Dabbler
can anyone give any advice on installation usb creation?

I got problem with rufus, also the tool balenaEtcher mentioned in the offcial guide.

It showed creation is successful, while nothing is actually created on the USB but a 2MB EFI partition.

1710378978578.png

1710378993232.png

homer27081990

Patron
Just for clarity, the image you posted shows no iso selected.

Also, because the partition type is (I think) ext4, Windows will (like an adware-supported, SaaS diva) refuse to see it as a partition.

Having said that, I recently was working with an IT friend of mine (I was spinning up a PfSense Bare Metal sys) and we had similar issues with almost all USB tools. We ended up using a rufus edition from 2022 (!). For some reason, PfSense refused to work with the new apps (something to do with a new framework they all use, don't remember, please correct).

Seeing as both PfSense and TrueNAS CORE are FreeBSD based OSes, I would suggest you try an older version of rufus (2021-2022 worked for me).

chuck32

Guru
got problem with rufus, also the tool balenaEtcher mentioned in the offcial guide.

What's your trouble with etcher? I prefer etcher for boot media creation.
Windows will (like an adware-supported, SaaS diva) refuse to see it as a partition.
Iirc last time I created a boot stick windows wasn't able to see anything at all, that alone should not be a reason for concern.

Did you actually try to use the stick?

Jeremy Guo

Dabbler
Just for clarity, the image you posted shows no iso selected.

Also, because the partition type is (I think) ext4, Windows will (like an adware-supported, SaaS diva) refuse to see it as a partition.

Having said that, I recently was working with an IT friend of mine (I was spinning up a PfSense Bare Metal sys) and we had similar issues with almost all USB tools. We ended up using a rufus edition from 2022 (!). For some reason, PfSense refused to work with the new apps (something to do with a new framework they all use, don't remember, please correct).

Seeing as both PfSense and TrueNAS CORE are FreeBSD based OSes, I would suggest you try an older version of rufus (2021-2022 worked for me).

tried 3.17p, seems mo luck, it only write two small partitions, please see the log file.

actually i successfully created a stick with "ISO to USB", but that's not bootable as it only support windows bootable disk creation.

Attachments

• rufuslog.zip
    892 bytes · Views: 22

Jeremy Guo

Dabbler
What's your trouble with etcher? I prefer etcher for boot media creation.

Iirc last time I created a boot stick windows wasn't able to see anything at all, that alone should not be a reason for concern.

Did you actually try to use the stick?

etcher also failed to create a bootable installation USB stick, same result as Rufus.

1710758020122.png

1710758123365.png

homer27081990

Patron
And on GPT disks, MS does us lowly *nix users a grand favour, because of the GPT specification for what is considered a partition.