Trouble Creating Installation USB from 11.2 ISO

linuxpulse

Cadet
Hello. There seems to be an issue in creating a bootable USB from the 11.2-U4.1 ISO. I've tried multiple programs including Win32 Disk Imager, Rufus and Power ISO to name a few. Every attempt results in the same outcome, the creation fails and the USB stick is rendered semi-bricked. This has been replicated on multiple Windows machines, running Windows 10 back to Windows 7, with Windows 7 machines going BSOD after the attempt. Interestingly I can't find much discussion about this, other than various comments in the 'Create Installation Media' video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpnHwE22VPE , but no answers. It makes me think this is an isolated issue, but with the sheer number of variations I've tried, there must be a larger issue. In reading some of the comments suggesting that HP motherboards and secure boot is the reason, I can confirm that is not the case in my scenarios.

The 11.1-U7 ISO works perfectly, and creates the installation USB without a hitch. What am I missing here? If you haven't tried creating one from the 11.2-U4.1 ISO, give it a try.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
I used a USB DVD drive and installed FreeNAS via ISO burned to a CD installed to a 64GB USB drive without issue ..but booting to the FreeNAS installer and not trying to install via some other program in Windows.

I have since "upgraded" to a 128GB SSD connected via USB to SATA cable and I installed in the same fashion without issue. It's been more than several months now and still running strong.

I have also fired up an extra box I had laying around and booted up FreeNAS installer from it's DVD drive and installed onto a flash drive and then put that drive into my server and boot up .. restore saved config file and back in business