TrueNAS 13 nightlies available

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ha, you beat me to it! As always feedback is welcome!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The txz files can be used for an update via UI?

What version will NFS be?

I ask because apparently the version in the latest TrueNAS Core (12.0-U7) does not support server-side copy.

Server-side copy is a feature for NFS 4.2, but we only have NFS 4.1, from what I recall.

Server-side copy is a major feature that gives performance a "night and day" difference.

awasb

Patron

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Nice! I'm excited to upgrade to TrueNAS Core 13.0-U1.1! (Obviously skipping past 13.0-RELEASE and 13.0-U1, since reporting/graphs are going to break again, as per the tradition. :wink:)

Ha, that gave me a chuckle, I can see we have a reputation that we need to work to improve ;)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nice! I'm excited to upgrade to TrueNAS Core 13.0-U1.1! (Obviously skipping past 13.0-RELEASE and 13.0-U1, since reporting/graphs are going to break again, as per the tradition. :wink:)
You can start testing now in a VM / filing bug reports as you encounter issues. This is best way to make sure that features work properly for your particular use-case. Sometimes users find _very_ old bugs (for instance one recently fixed in processing the nfs exports file in upstream FreeBSD).

You can start testing now in a VM / filing bug reports as you encounter issues.
I would only be able to spare maybe 6GB of RAM to the virtual machine (VirtualBox, Linux PC) at best case. To populate virtual disks, with little available RAM, and do something sophisticated such as re-creating my entire home partition (filled with numerous files and directories, large and small) to be accessed via NFS, might not be a fair assessment. The best I could do is rudmentary tests, such as "let me copy a large file from here to here, server-side", or "let's see if the web GUI becomes sluggish during a high I/O operation."

I definitely can check out how the tooltips now read in regards to accurately describing a feature.

So with the latest ISO (202201070603), I notice there still exists a pop-up dialog bug (fixed in "SCALE" according to the report).

Does this mean CORE 13 will not receive such fixes, even though they are not SCALE-specific?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
So with the latest ISO (202201070603), I notice there still exists a pop-up dialog bug (fixed in "SCALE" according to the report).

Does this mean CORE 13 will not receive such fixes, even though they are not SCALE-specific?
Well, SCALE and 13 have different branches in the webui git repo and so it's possible that a cherry-pick was missed. You can file a jira ticket.

Volts

Patron
Working very well for me here. Installed to a new BE without incident.
Anecdotally everything seems faster.

Upgraded a few jails.
Even my dumb rulebreaking stuff (if_wg.ko built, loaded on host, wg0 in a jail) is working great.

(Ventoy doesn't like it, but I think it's a recent Ventoy/FreeBSD issue.)