TrueNAS 13.0 Nightly Images and Features

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey folks! As some have heard by now, TrueNAS CORE 13.0 nightly images have begun, with BETA expected in February. Here's a quick high-level overview of expected major changes:

* FreeBSD 13 Based
* OpenZFS 2.1.X
* iSCSI performance improvements
* ZFS pool import speed improvements
* System scaling improvements with high disk counts
* Updated Samba to 4.15.X

We'll keep everybody posted if things changed, thanks to those who are running nightly images and doing early testing!

dak180

Patron

Volts

Patron
Will support for for server side spotlight indexing be compiled in and able to be turned on?

It looks like the change to enable it in smbd landed yesterday. It's not in the latest nightly yet. I wonder if there will be any GUI knobs and full support? Or if this is a bone for us, so we can enable it manually? Good enough!

---

While we're wishing ... can we get TCP RACK in the kernel? It's a remarkably big improvement when serving anything remotely.

It might be worth shipping wireguard-kmod. I've been using it for months. It's *fast* and very stable now.

And a pony?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Will support for for server side spotlight indexing be compiled in and able to be turned on?
Spotlight indexing is not currently planned.
It would probably go into TrueNAS SCALE 1st, since it could use the Kubernetes function to deploy the Elasticsearch.
If its important for your use-case, I'd suggest making it a "suggestion" in jira (Report a bug).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As long as support is compiled in I am perfectly fine doing my own jail based backend implementation.

souporman

Explorer
I am excited to see improvements for high disk counts. I'm fairly certain I built the largest TrueNAS CORE pool (disk count wise) at 360 disks, and it was almost impossible to use the GUI at that point. I no longer have access to that pool, unfortunately, so I won't be able to see if these improvements help.

Louis2

Contributor
I tried to install today's core 13 master on an 64 GB usb-stick, in order not to offer a real disk. I did not work :frown:

In fact I did two trails installing with:
- boot mode UEFI (system did boot, however with fatal error see picture)
- boot mode bios (usb stick not recognized as being boot-able)

20220201_200852.jpg

ThreeDee

Guru
I was going to update a pool on a drive I didn't care about .. but it errors out and says it can't update

I do have a different pool that says it's unhealthy, would that affect other pools from updating?

Volts

Patron
I've lost connectivity to different vnet jails several times this month. Base host connectivity and other jails continued to work.

Probably a premature assumption, but I'm wondering if it's the issue discussed here:
Will update here if upstream changes are made, or if I make any other progress. I'll do more troubleshooting next time it happens.

Has anybody else experienced vnet jail networking dropouts?

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Not on TrueNAS because I am not running the 13.0 BETA, yet. But I'm in that discussion on freebsd-net and I do expect the issue to be solved by the time 13.1-RELEASE is finished.

It did hit us in production in our FreeBSD based DC, though. Currently downgrading the machines to 13.0-RELEASE-p7 as a first measure.

Volts

Patron
I'm pretty sure that fix landed and was in the most recent nightly. No jail network hangs since, but I was sometimes making it a day between hangs anyway. So it's looking good, but I can't be sure yet.

Edit, a few days later: this definitely seems to be resolved.

Last edited:

Volts

Patron
Are nightlies paused, broken, or stopped?

Or should I check again tomorrow?
I see the (minor) FreeBSD 13.1 RC4 changes were landed today.

Update: A new nightly landed, yay.

Last edited:

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
Are nightlies paused, broken, or stopped?

Or should I check again tomorrow?
I see the (minor) FreeBSD 13.1 RC4 changes were landed today.

Update: A new nightly landed, yay.
You should see new images now since all API tests passed.

eturgeon

Super Moderator
iXsystems
There are also nightlies for CORE 13 again. There just weren't new builds published for a little while, that's what I was referring to.

Thanks! Are the build/API test results published anywhere?
No, the results are private, but you can be assured that if the 13.0 is published all the API tests have passed. It is the same case for the TrueNAS SCALE nightlies images.

Last edited: