TrueNAS 12 Beta - NMBD not started on boot

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Hi,

I have TrueNAS 12.0-RC1 Beta installed and have discoverd that the NMBD is not starting up at boot.
I see the following line on bootup:

Code:
Cannot 'start' nmbd. Set nmdb_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.

However the SMBD service is starting up fine on boot.
If i add the nmbd_enable="YES" line with sysrc nmbd_enable="YES" command and check if the service is running
i can see it doesn't run.
If i then start the nmbd service with 'service nmbd start' it is starting up fine ... until the next reboot when it is giving the Cannot start error again
and i have to start it up manually again.

I believe the problem existed in earlier beta's but now i found it because of some issue i had with my Nvidia Shield TV 2017 not seeing the FreeNAS SMB Share i created.
After starting the nmbd service the Shield TV sees the FreeNAS share again.

Any thoughts what the problem could be?

bonestaak

Explorer
I today swapped my motherboard ssd and HD to my new server case. I got the same, on SSD is my Truenas system and on de HD my pools with data like Plex (pass) i got the same, corrected it, but the HD pool does not start. The drive is spinning and under disks i can see my harddrive but the pool is not started. What went wrong? I corrected netbios-ns

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 18.56.30.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 18.56.30.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 18.57.00.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 18.57.00.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 194

Hendrixx

Dabbler
@bonestaak It looks like your ZFS pool is not imported.
You could try to import it via menu: Storage -> Pools -> ADD

truenas_import_pool_1.png

And then: Import an existing pool

truenas_import_pool_2.png

bonestaak

Explorer
Yes i can see now a part of it, but below, there is still a problem walnas offline, when i go to my Mac and go to smb i cannot connect either and i can not connect to Plex.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 19.38.11.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 19.38.11.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 162

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Have you renamed your pool?
Or to you have 2 pools? (walbergnas and walnas)

I think your original name was walbergnas(?)
You can delete the walnas pool and use the walbergnas as default.
Then you can check you shares if they still exist (which it should if you export and import your settings)

bonestaak

Explorer
I started jail again, stop smb and start smb but too bad, No connect on Mac smb

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 20.04.45.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 20.04.45.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 174

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Check your shares via the menu: Sharing -> Windows Shares (SMB)
You should see your shares there, for example on my server:

truenas_3.png

In your case the "Path" should display something like:
/mnt/walbergnas/Plexmedia

bonestaak

Explorer
Aha, it has lost. Why? hmm, is there a possibility on Truenas to save whole config (now i must strugle to make a new share pff).

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 20.22.25.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-07 om 20.22.25.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 161

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Did you make a backup before you shutdown your old server?
If so you should be able to simply import again in the new server(case) and restore everything.

If not ... you would have to create your shares again.

Ps. Ook nederlander zie ik? :)

bonestaak

Explorer
Hmm can i make a share for complete path? i remember i had a share before i install plugin Plex and after i had no access to the directory where plex data was but only on the main directory.

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Hmm can i make a share for complete path? i remember i had a share before i install plugin Plex and after i had no access to the directory where plex data was but only on the main directory.

What do you mean by "complete path" ?
You can add share(s) to any path you like. For example to the root path where all your data is (/mnt/walbergnas/)
Or seperate shares for example one to your /mnt/warbergnas/Plexmedia.

I preffer seperate shares for better (security)control.

bonestaak

Explorer
Your right but for now ill keep it simple untill i got enough experience. For now SMB and Plex are working. Now try to find a filemanager as i now must copy and paste from SMB trhough my Mac. And find a way to connect an external dock (for backup disks)
Thanks.

Hendrixx

Dabbler
You can use the 'Finder' on your Mac as filemanager.
Al you have to do is mount the share from your TrueNAS and copy and paste to/from your Mac.

Succes met je setup :wink:

bonestaak

Explorer
Thats how i do it now, but i thougt its inefficient as data must pass the Mac also. So now i have attach dock with HD to my Mac, and then copy from Nas to Disk or from Disk to Nas. Dank U

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Ah ok now i understand want you want to do.
If you connect your dock with HD (external USB HD?) to your Mac you will still need to use the Finder on your Mac to copy to or from your TrueNAS server.

Another option would be to connect the HD directly to your TrueNAS server but then you will need to copy files from the TrueNAS command line to your attached HD.

You could also create a scheduled task (called a cron job in TrueNAS) to automate this for you.
Many possibilities!

bonestaak

Explorer
It works for 1 day, now i tried to install another plugin and now my Freenas is not visible anymore from the finder, no SMB one thing that has changed is that i have deleted mount point as a had all my plex media files 2 times? 1 path where i have had placed the media the first time and of course the path under the jail. Is there somewhere a real guide for installing Plex, and Motioneye under Truenas (Truenas is different from the samples on youtube from Freenas.

bonestaak

Explorer
Setting up again with Youtube from Laurence Systems. I do not get Edit ACL when clicking on the 3 dots. See my map plexmedia

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-08 om 19.37.15.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-08 om 19.37.15.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 192

Hendrixx

Dabbler
Setting up again with Youtube from Laurence Systems. I do not get Edit ACL when clicking on the 3 dots. See my map plexmedia

You can click the "Edit permissions" option this will take you to the ACL permissions.