transmission plugin update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffboss

Dabbler
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any news on the transmission plugin being updated?

Currently the plugin is running 2.77 but the current version of transmission is 2.82.

Thanks,

emk2203

Guru
If you go to the plugin page of your NAS dashboard, 2.82 shows up under "available". After you try to install it, it shows up as 2.77-1.

Could anyone enlighten me on what's happening?

petay

Cadet
I have been struggling with transmission too! It seems to have disappeared lately from the list of available plugins. I'm running the x86 version of 9.1.1

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm running x64 9.1.1 and I have both 2.77-1 and 2.82 on the list of plugins that are available. I do know that the x86 version isn't compatible with all plugins and is due to be discontinued next year because of how all this stuff works and its just not very smart to run ZFS with plugins on an x86 system and the codebase needs to be downsized. Also so few people use x86 that the developers don't see much of a reason to keep it around anyway.

So heads up! Upgrade or be left behind!

emk2203

Guru
Huh? Never used x86, pure x64 all the way since forever.

EDIT: Seems that the x86 version has the plugin disappeared, the x64 version shows two versions, but they both default to the old 2.77-1.

I too would like to know what's up with the 2.82 plugin that installs 2.77_1.

D

dlavigne

Thanks for the heads up! We are looking into this and have also created bug 3398 to address the larger issue of plugin updates.

emk2203

Guru
Thanks, and congratulations on the decision to implement a better process for the plugins with bug 3398. This is absolutely the right way to go, in every step described (be it plugins.freenas.org, the nightlies or the automated update when upstream changes).

Ghwomb

Dabbler
I run standard Transmission 2.77_1 on AMD64, everything works flawless! Thanks a lot. But I want to upgrade to the available 2.82 version. How can I do that? I can't seem to find any guides on how upgrade plugins. I really don't want to delete the old version of the plugin just to install a newer version. Is there a pbi -u transmission command, so to speak?

D

dlavigne

Currently there isn't an upgrade process (it's a matter of uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version when its available). We're working on a better way to do this seamlessly.

Ghwomb

Dabbler
Currently there isn't an upgrade process (it's a matter of uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version when its available). We're working on a better way to do this seamlessly.

Thanks for the answer. I will do a new fresh install then. It is good to know that there is no upgrade path. Then I won't install anything complicated since it will need more difficult re-configuring.

emk2203

Guru
Thanks, I can install via the web interface. I just hoped there was an upgrade path other than a complete reinstall.

I tried this to install Transmission 2.82 from the freenas.org plugin directory, and transmission refused to start.

Code:
jexec customplugin_1 less /var/log/messages
Nov 13 08:55:06 customplugin_1 newsyslog[5080]: logfile first created
Nov 13 08:55:06 customplugin_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 13 08:55:07 customplugin_1 su: setpriority 'root' (root): Permission denied
Nov 13 19:50:06 customplugin_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Nov 13 19:53:57 customplugin_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Nov 13 20:06:07 customplugin_1 transmission-daemon: transmission-daemon Error loading config file -- exiting. (daemon.c:498)
Nov 13 20:06:07 customplugin_1 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission

Note: If you install via direct upload, you get customplugin_1 as jail instead of jail_1.

I checked the jail with

Code:
jexec customplugin_1 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission status

and got the expected
Code:
transmission is not running.

Trying to force it, after
Code:
jexec customplugin_1 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission start
, I got
Code:
Shared object "libevent-2.0.so.6" not found, required by "transmission-daemon"
, which seems to indicate that this plugin is not made for the 9.1.1 jail. Any ideas?

Yatti420

Wizard

oracle_sod

Dabbler
so with FreeNas 9.2 x64, and trying to install Transmission 2.82, the install is successful however I'm still getting the "Shared object "libevent-2.0.so.6" not found, required by "transmission-daemon" error when trying to start Transmission...

Any ideas why ?

(I also have Plex installed, configured and working)

Status
Not open for further replies.