Transmission Plugin Upgrade via GUI breaks service status button

Status
Not open for further replies.

enemy85

Guru
Goodmorning,
FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)
Couple of days ago, I decided to upgrade my transmission plugin (installed as plugin from the web gui) from 2.82 version to 2.84_2 via the PLUGIN GUI tab upgrade button. The upgrade went good, but after that i was not longer able to turn the GUI PLUGIN switch on from the web gui and the plugin didn't work anymore, neither with a reboot. Today, after a power off of my NAS, the plugin started to work again, but the ON/OFF switch in the PLUGIN tab it's still off.
Any ideas?
TIA

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've seen updates break the plugin GUI before if the plugins database didn't migrate properly. Either because I didn't do this properly or the migration script didn't apply correctly. Basically, the plugin code has a certain set of options, but it may not be matching the sqlite database at /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/transmissionUI/transmission.db

I'm not sure of an quick fix. I fixed this before in a roundabout way...
  1. uploaded a PBI for an additional plugin to the transmission_1 jail
  2. deleted the transmission plugin
  3. uploaded the transmission PBI to the transmission_1 jail
  4. deleted the additional plugin
But, people with more skill with editing databases may be able to repair this by looking here https://github.com/josh4trunks/free...n/resources/transmissionUI/freenas/migrations

####

BTW, this could all be a guess. Your plugin GUI could have broken for other reasons, but I just know this is a likely cause because I migrated options for this plugin between 2.82 and 2.84_2

enemy85

Guru
well, it might be that the cause, because nothing else changed or happened to my system. now it's just the GUI switch button not working, while the plugin itselfs seems to work even if the button tells me the plugin it's switched off...
but i think i'll leave it that way until i decide to have a bit of free time to upgrade directly to 9.3

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
well, it might be that the cause, because nothing else changed or happened to my system. now it's just the GUI switch button not working, while the plugin itselfs seems to work even if the button tells me the plugin it's switched off...
but i think i'll leave it that way until i decide to have a bit of free time to upgrade directly to 9.3
I'm assuming the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the freenas webui isn't working. But, if you don't need any of the settings available it doesn't matter.
Sounds good, if it's working for you no need to mess with it further.

enemy85

Guru
I'm assuming the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the freenas webui isn't working. But, if you don't need any of the settings available it doesn't matter.
Sounds good, if it's working for you no need to mess with it further.

Hi Joshua,
actually the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the freenas webui seems to work, or at least it opens the settings tab (i didn't try to change the values because i don't want to break anything now that it works :))
What is not working, it's the on/off button in the "plugin -> installed" tab in the upper panel of freenas webui.
But I can live with that for now

Thanks for the replies

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi Joshua,
actually the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the freenas webui seems to work, or at least it opens the settings tab (i didn't try to change the values because i don't want to break anything now that it works :))
What is not working, it's the on/off button in the "plugin -> installed" tab in the upper panel of freenas webui.
But I can live with that for now

Thanks for the replies
hmm, OK strange. glad it's working for you.

EscapeVelocit3y

Dabbler
@enemy85, It looks like you and I have the same issue, I also have the same thread/topic going in this forum.

Please let me know if you find a solution to your problem.

Can you tell me if all your plugins are in a single jail or does your jail only host the single transmission plug-in?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
@enemy85, It looks like you and I have the same issue, I also have the same thread/topic going in this forum.

Please let me know if you find a solution to your problem.

Can you tell me if all your plugins are in a single jail or does your jail only host the single transmission plug-in?
I think I have a theory and a possible solution. the old plugin overwrote the standard init file and set some things non-default (like the pidfile location) with one of the plugin updates I switched to using the upstream init. but the old one is still on your systems.
I suggest you try the following

rm /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission
ln -s /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/rc.d/transmission /usr/local/etc/rc.d

then restart the jail

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

enemy85

Guru
I think I have a theory and a possible solution. the old plugin overwrote the standard init file and set some things non-default (like the pidfile location) with one of the plugin updates I switched to using the upstream init. but the old one is still on your systems.

then restart the jail
It solved the issue for me too! Thank you Joshua!!!

denist

Contributor
Hi i did the same thing for transmission plugin 2.92 update via gui but my problem is that i have the transmission client as the main jail and have sabnzbd sickrage and couchpotato in the same plugin and also firewall setting and openvpn....

so deleting the plugin would mean i need to re do all the setup provided by joshua and all the firewall and vpn....

so the transmission broke and i used the above lines to fix it which is all good... but i have lost the transmission settings from the left pane.....

is there a way to bring that back...... everything is woking fine just dont have the icon on the left pane....
i know the setting are using the json file... anyhow...just wondering is therer a way to bring it back

Denis

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi i did the same thing for transmission plugin 2.92 update via gui but my problem is that i have the transmission client as the main jail and have sabnzbd sickrage and couchpotato in the same plugin and also firewall setting and openvpn....

so deleting the plugin would mean i need to re do all the setup provided by joshua and all the firewall and vpn....

so the transmission broke and i used the above lines to fix it which is all good... but i have lost the transmission settings from the left pane.....

is there a way to bring that back...... everything is woking fine just dont have the icon on the left pane....
i know the setting are using the json file... anyhow...just wondering is therer a way to bring it back

Denis
I don't understand why you can't use the procedure from here?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...eaks-service-status-button.39199/#post-241154

if you follow it your settings/won't be deleted.

denist

Contributor
im a bit confuesed on what you mean via the settings above..

1 upload a pbi plugin via the transmissio_1 jail.... do you mean upload the new transmission plugin into the jail via jails....
2 then delete the transmission plugin via the plugin tab... wouldnt that delete the whole jail with all the other plugins are installed.
3 uploaded the transmission PBI to the transmission jail isnt this the same as step one....
or did you mean a different plugin to be installed in strep one.
4 delete the additional plugin.... this would be via the plugin jail. becuase i would have 2 of them......

could you clarify this would be most heapfull.

Denis

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if you already have other plugins already installed to the jail you could just...
* delete the transmission plugin on the plugins > installed tab
* reupload the pbi for transmission to the existing jail on the jails tab

ndeleting a plugin will only delete the jail if there are no other plugins installed to that jail.

PatchDog

Dabbler

then restart the jail

The Commands worked for me. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.