Transmission service button broken, web GUI inaccessbile from fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed FreeNAS 9.3.1 from a fresh install and used this video guide to set up Transmission. I followed the instructions to the letter (except I named my storage pool differently). The problem is that once I get to the 5:00 mark where he clicks the service status button to 'ON', the button "thinks" for awhile (plays the loading animation), then just stops, and still says OFF. I cannot access the web GUI in any fashion, even from the link that appears when you click on the plugin. I'm new to this and I'm not sure where Transmission keeps the log files. I've nuked the whole thing and started over several times with no luck.

I have verified that my share is configured correctly using CIFS and I can read/write without a problem from another computer. The jail has its storage configured and mounted by the instructions in the video.

Couple things I noticed:

1. It takes FOREVER to load the "Installed" tab under plugins. Literally 2 minutes or so before it shows any installed plugins, and Transmission is the only plugin installed.
2. The default IP address for the Transmission jail is 192.168.0.1. If I change this to anything else, Transmission disappears from the list of plugins in the left pane of the FreeNAS GUI. If I change it back, Transmission reappears in the list.
3. Unable to ping or access the Transmission web GUI

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
your jail needs to have working networking for the on/off button and transmission webui to work. from the transmission jail can you ping your computer?

I cannot ping anything from the jail except its own IP address (192.168.0.1). It can't reach the FreeNAS IP (192.168.0.53) or the gateway (192.168.0.254).

When I open the shell and type jls at the prompt, it shows Transmission in the list of jails but there is nothing under the IP address column.

Here is the IP configuration of the Transmission jail. Is there some other place where networking is configured that I am unaware of?

S11IlC4.jpg

Gso2764.jpg

Nick2253

Wizard
If you change the IP address and reboot FreeNAS, the jail will show up again. There's a way to refresh it without rebooting, but I can't remember for the life of me how to do it.

Thanks. after a reboot I can see the Transmission plugin again and the jail is listed with the updated IP address.

I can now ping everything successfully (Jail --> FreeNAS, FreeNAS --> Jail, Jail --> Gateway), however I still cannot access the web interface, it just times out. The service status button still says "Off" under plugins, when I click the button the starting animation plays for about three seconds, then disappears, and the service is still off. WTF?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks. after a reboot I can see the Transmission plugin again and the jail is listed with the updated IP address.

I can now ping everything successfully (Jail --> FreeNAS, FreeNAS --> Jail, Jail --> Gateway), however I still cannot access the web interface, it just times out. The service status button still says "Off" under plugins, when I click the button the starting animation plays for about three seconds, then disappears, and the service is still off. WTF?
what's the output when you run 'service transmission onestart' in the jail?

I reinstalled a couple more times and finally got it working (I still had to change it from the default IP to a different one though). I'm guessing you're right about the jail permissions, but I did not find the exact root of the problem. Thanks for the help.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I reinstalled a couple more times and finally got it working (I still had to change it from the default IP to a different one though). I'm guessing you're right about the jail permissions, but I did not find the exact root of the problem. Thanks for the help.
you can fix what IPs are assigned to your jails on the jails>configuration tab.

This is what I did. For some reason Transmission's default assigned jail IP (192.168.0.1) is unable to connect to either FreeNAS or the gateway. After moving it to 192.168.0.116 it works fine. Thanks again.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This is what I did. For some reason Transmission's default assigned jail IP (192.168.0.1) is unable to connect to either FreeNAS or the gateway. After moving it to 192.168.0.116 it works fine. Thanks again.
hmm, weird. OK no problem.

Nick2253

Wizard

I'm glad you got it figured out.

My guess is the problem has something to do with your network configuration. Most likely, your router may be doing something with IP 192.168.0.1 that conflicts with the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.