"Orphaned" transmission plugin installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5, having incrementally upgraded from 8.something over the last couple of years. At some point in the past, I attempted to install a plugin for transmission 2.77. It didn't work at the time, and I didn't mess with it much. However, I now can't remove it. It's listed under my installed plugins next to an installation of transmission 2.82 (which has its own problems, but that's a separate issue). Next to the 2.77 listing, there's a button for Update and another for Delete. When I try to delete it, I get an error that "the plugins jail is not running, start it before proceeding."

The Transmission 2.77 does not appear to have an associated jail. How can I clear out this entry?

D

dlavigne

I asked the developer who said:

It might be best to just nuke the jail dataset in this case. This was fixed, but I think it's in 9.2.1.6. The meta data directory will need to
be removed as well:

zfs destroy -f /mnt/$vol/jails/transmission_xxx
rm -rf /mnt/$vol/jails/.transmission_xxx.meta

Replace _xxx with the name of the problematic jail.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear that there is a jail, dataset, or a meta data directory for this transmission installation. Both are present for the (semi-working) 2.82 installation, though.

Code:
[dan@freenas2] /mnt/zfs1/jail# ls -l
total 19
drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  10 May  5 18:11 ./
drwxrwxrwx  13 root  wheel  13 May 20 16:53 ../
drwxr-xr-x  3 www  www      3 May  5 18:01 .plugins/
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  17 May  5 18:11 .transmission_1.meta/
drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel    4 Aug 24  2013 .warden-files-cache/
drwxr-xr-x  17 root  wheel  21 Dec  4  2012 .warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64/
drwxr-xr-x  18 root  wheel  22 May  5 18:04 .warden-template-pluginjail/
drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel  24 May 26  2013 transmission/
drwxr-xr-x  18 root  wheel  22 May  5 18:04 transmission_1/
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  170 May  5 18:11 warden.log

transmission_1 is the one that works, transmission doesn't. transmission_1 is a dataset, transmission isn't. I can certainly rm -rf transmission--is that the best bet?

D

dlavigne

transmission_1 is the one that works, transmission doesn't. transmission_1 is a dataset, transmission isn't. I can certainly rm -rf transmission--is that the best bet?

Sounds reasonable. Let us know if that fixes it or fails.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The rm succeeded--the directory /mnt/zfs1/jail/transmission has been removed. However, the plugin is still listed as installed (see attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 1.39.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-29 at 1.39.44 AM.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 329
D

dlavigne

Was there an associated /mnt/$vol/jails/.transmission_xxx.meta and was that file removed?

D

dlavigne

Not sure... If on the chance you have resolved this, post how you did it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No resolution. It appears to be only a cosmetic issue, so I'm not too bothered by it, but it seems there ought to be a way to clean up that list when it gets out of sync with reality.

Big Al

Cadet
I had the same issue with "transmission" as well as a couple other plugins on an unsuccessful attempt to install on an older version (~2years ago). I've attempted to move the software remnants off into another subdirectory but didn't seem to have any effect. I suspect that there are some orphaned stubs sitting in some sqlite database since the configuration backup process produces an sqlite database. I'm not proficient at ransacking databases so I didn't try to putz with probing databases.

Since there is ZFS on the volumes and my FreeNAS installation is on a separate and dedicated SSD, I did a fresh installation in order to clear up this and any other hidden woes. With the clean install, my jail root was on the ZFS volume. I had to clean up the previously valid jails to valid plugins on the prior installation (nothing lost there) and configured the jail root to that volume again. I went ahead and left the warden dataset alone.

After rebooting, the plugin list refreshed. I was able to start with a clean list of plugins associated with (fresh) valid jails. Had I not had the firmware/OS installed on its own disk, I would not have been able to do this cowardly fix.

Sirach Matthews

Dabbler
I am a Noob, so forgive me if I am completely off base here.

Is there some entry in /data/freenas-v1.db which needs cleaning up? I have a similar issue here.

volckg

Dabbler
Hi everybody, I also am a FreeNAS Noob, but maybe found a workaround for orphaned plugins (at least for my setup).

I had 2 plugins installed "owncloud" and "crashplan" when I lost the pool. Didn't hurt because it was only for testing purposes. I setup a new pool and noticed, the plugins showed up in the list of the web interface but couldn't be removed.
I then tried to reinstall "owncloud" from the available plugins list, but installation stopped with the error message: "jexec: execvp(): /usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/control: No such file or directory". After that I was able to delete the plugin through the web interface. Same thing for the "crashplan" plugin. After a reboot I reinstalled the "owncloud" plugin and it works as expected.

Cheers,
Gerrit

Status
Not open for further replies.