Transmission update deleted all my torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonder-wombat

Dabbler
Hi!

I updated today my Transmission plugin from 2.82 to 2.84 and all my .torrent files disappeared from the client.
I would like not to reupload them one by one (there are ~800 of them...) so I tried to use the Watch Directory function but I'm unable to even copy the files in the Transmission jails since I have no permission from Windows.

Would anybody have an idea ?

(sorry if my message isn't crystal-clear, english isn't my mother tongue)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
what do you want help with exactly. moving the .torrent files?

this is an extremely broad question. I'd just do it when ssh but there are dozens of ways to accomplish this.

wonder-wombat

Dabbler
I would like to move them to the Watch Directory so they are "uploaded" to the Transmission client

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I would like to move them to the Watch Directory so they are "uploaded" to the Transmission client
I understand that part.

either make a share so you can drop those files into the jail. or use the 'mv' command from the command line.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the hint! I made the share but Transmission doesn't take the torrents I put in there, nothing happens.
logs would be helpful to show of transmission is even trying to use them. you might need to enable this/set where these go in your /etc/rc.conf

you might also want to make sure that the files are readable by the transmission user in the jail.

wonder-wombat

Dabbler
logs would be helpful to show of transmission is even trying to use them. you might need to enable this/set where these go in your /etc/rc.conf

How do you open the log? There's nothing about Transmission in the Freenas UI log. Sorry, real noob here! :D
I cannot open /etc/rc.conf through CIFS Windows share because of the same permission issue than my first post.

you might also want to make sure that the files are readable by the transmission user in the jail.

I think this is okay since I use the same share as my download folder and downloaded files are readable.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
rc.conf in the jail. you likely are going to need to use the command line to debug this not cifs. freenas ui log wouldn't have stuff that's going on in the jail.

readable by your user doesn't mean anything about the readability by the transmission user.

wonder-wombat

Dabbler
rc.conf in the jail. you likely are going to need to use the command line to debug this not cifs. freenas ui log wouldn't have stuff that's going on in the jail.

Could you explain how to do so?

readable by your user doesn't mean anything about the readability by the transmission user.

Sorry, that wasn't clear, but I meant Transmission can read them (= it is seeding files from the share folder)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Could you explain how to do so?

Sorry, that wasn't clear, but I meant Transmission can read them (= it is seeding files from the share folder)
explain how to edit the file? I personally would ssh to FN, jexec into the jail, then open the file with ee. that's as far as I'm going to help with editing files, others may be able to help more.

what files are readable? I'm specially talking about the .torrent files you uploaded. if they are readable, and transmission is seeding them, then what's the issue?

wonder-wombat

Dabbler
explain how to edit the file? I personally would ssh to FN, jexec into the jail, then open the file with ee. that's as far as I'm going to help with editing files, others may be able to help more.

I don't understand a single word of these instructions, but thanks anyway ;)

what files are readable? I'm specially talking about the .torrent files you uploaded. if they are readable, and transmission is seeding them, then what's the issue?

I can upload a torrent file through the Transmission UI (I just would like to avoid doing that 800 times, but I guess I will have to) and Transmission is able to download and seed the files (let's say .mp3) of the torrent in the same share folder which I try to configure as a watch directory. So I guess Transmission has write and read rights in this share folder.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't understand a single word of these instructions, but thanks anyway ;)

I can upload a torrent file through the Transmission UI (I just would like to avoid doing that 800 times, but I guess I will have to) and Transmission is able to download and seed the files (let's say .mp3) of the torrent in the same share folder which I try to configure as a watch directory. So I guess Transmission has write and read rights in this share folder.
this doesn't prove that transmission can read the .torrent files you uploaded. every file has its own permission level and ownership, which likely isn't matching the ones you uploaded through the gui

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Allright, I was thinking permissions were managed at a folder level.
depends on the files system. it might be as simple as making the files all world readable.

Status
Not open for further replies.