tplink-monitor-linux install?

fixit9660

Dabbler
Has anyone tried using the TPLink Monitor installing in on FreeNAS 11.1U-7 please? This is NOT software to monitor an ethernet interface. It's software to monitor the TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug. It pulls back and stores Energy consumption as monitored by the plug. Basically acting the same way as an SNMP server might work on network equipment. It then provides a web interface to diaply the collected data.

Attachments

• tplink-monitor-linux.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 445

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Looks like a straight-forward installation inside a Linux VM. It won't work natively on FreeNAS 11. The last time you could create a Linux jail was in 9.2.

fixit9660

Dabbler
Thanks for the prompt and helpful response, much appreciated.

fixit9660

Dabbler
I take it that it won't just install on the FreeBSD NAS and run alongside it, rather than trying to run it in a Jail?

Samuel Tai

No, sorry. Like I said, the last time you could run a Linux application natively on FreeNAS was in FreeNAS 9.2, and that was only a 32-bit application inside a Linux jail.

Fredda

Guru
That is not true. For example: I am running a nagios instance inside a FreeNAS jail (11.3) and in order to do FlexLM licence checks I needed a
binary, which is only available for Linux.
Code:
[root@jail] ~# file /usr/local/bin/lmutil
/usr/local/bin/lmutil: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3, for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped
[root@jail] ~# /usr/local/bin/lmutil
lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2012 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
usage:     lmutil lmborrow -status
    lmutil lmborrow -clear
    lmutil lmborrow {all|vendor} dd-mmm-yyyy:[time]

Of course you should not expect to run too complicated Linux binaries, which require a lot of different libraries.
Take a look here: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-install.html
The Linux kernel module has to be loaded in FreeNAS directly (I do it with a post bootup script), the rest is installed in a jail.

fixit9660

Dabbler
I've read your response and the links, and I'm keen to try, but the problem I have is that I have done very little directly with Linux or FreeBSD. I have "dabbled" with both, and am quite at home with scripts, but I've never done anything of this complexity before.
Can you recommend somewhere that I might be able to get some step-by-step "handholding" as I try to do this please?

Samuel Tai

1. First, install your preferred 64-bit Linux distro in a VM, using the procedure from the Guide, Section 18.1. It's recommended to use VirtIO for your VM's boot zvol and NIC. Boot via UEFI. (Note, this only works if your CPU supports VT-x extended page tables.) For a very lightweight distro, you could use Porteus, which will happily run in 1 GiB RAM, and 1 GiB disk. For VNC, it's best to stick to the default port of 5900, if this will be your only VM, and a resolution of 1024x768.
  2. Once you're got the VM booted and installed, install Docker. For Porteus, which is based on Slackware, see https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/docker/. Note, this may increase the RAM needed for your VM.
  3. Once Docker is running, install the jamesbarnett91/tp-link-energy-monitor container, using the directions listed in the Github readme.

Fredda

Guru
Perhaps you should have linked to the homepage of the tool you intend to run in a jail instead of dumping the zip file here.
So its: https://github.com/jamesbarnett91/tplink-energy-monitor/ right?

This is a javascript application, which needs node.js to run, which is available for FreeBSD.
Install node.js for your jail and then simply follow the install instructions on the homepage.

fixit9660

Dabbler
Perhaps you should have linked to the homepage of the tool you intend to run in a jail instead of dumping the zip file here.
So its: https://github.com/jamesbarnett91/tplink-energy-monitor/ right?

This is a javascript application, which needs node.js to run, which is available for FreeBSD.
Install node.js for your jail and then simply follow the install instructions on the homepage.

So very sorry for not responding sooner, I've had some family affairs taking precedent.

Samuel Tai thank you for the prompt and helpful response, I did start reading and investigating it.
Fredda your are correct, it is the github article. I'm not familiar with identifying javascript applications, hence my focus on running the linux. I try to avoid dumping a huge amount of info and then "asking people to sort it out for me", without trying to understand it first. Apologies.
I've also never built a jail and installed node.js, so I might need a little help.

fixit9660

Dabbler
OK that was a battle! I've built a Jail called TPLink_Devices, I hope I've done it correctly. I'm running 11v1-U7 so followed https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.1/freenas.html. I used the wizard to create the jail. After I'd enabled SSH and created user "andrew", I ran the command to install the packages and got this:
root@TPLink_Devices:/home/andrew # whoami
root
root@TPLink_Devices:/home/andrew # pkg install npm git
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
[TPLink_Devices] Fetching meta.txz: 100% 916 B 0.9kB/s 00:01
pkg: repository meta /var/db/pkg/FreeBSD.meta has wrong version 2
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
[TPLink_Devices] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100% 6 MiB 1.6MB/s 00:04
pkg: repository meta /var/db/pkg/FreeBSD.meta has wrong version 2
pkg: Repository FreeBSD load error: meta cannot be loaded No error: 0
Unable to open created repository FreeBSD
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!
root@TPLink_Devices:/home/andrew #

sretalla