total Noob install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pblack00

Cadet
Hi All,

I've got a CD-rom made with the disk image, and it starts to boot, but at some point it says - "looking for installation cdrom on" and hangs...

any ideas?

pblack00

Al562

Dabbler
Hi Pblack00,

Possibly bad CD-ROM, cable, port. Possibly bad disc, bad or improperly burned disc image, download/burn again, check the file hash on the download before burning. Possibly incorrect MB/BIOS settings. Possibly incompatible hardware.

Best of luck,
Al

B

Bohs Hansen

as addition to what Al562 already said, burn the ISO at lowest possible speed, can make a lot of difference.

pblack00

Cadet
so I forgot to plug in my USB key and got past my first issue. Now it just displays this text over and over - /dev/da0s1 /dev/da0

I left it for 10-15 min thinking it was transferrring something to the USB key, but it just kept typing that on the screen.

Thanks
pblack00

pblack00

Cadet
Hi Again,

I've done what was suggested above, made a new CD, at slowest speed and it starts the install. At one point finds my USB key, then says this:

/dev/da0s1 /dev/da0

just keeps repeating this over and over, have unplugged all my drives except one and the cd-rom.

Any clue what this is?

Pblack00

pblack00

Cadet
So I seem to conquered the first problem, I unplugged all drives and it boots better (still never gets to config screen). Now it give me some sort of SCSI error and it seems it's unable to mount the internal cdrom (acd0?) and asks for SHELL or press enter for /bin/sh???

So I decided to try .7, and I was able to get to the config screen!!! I inserted USB key at this time and it seemed to mount fine, hit 9, and selected cdrom and install to USB key (only option as I have just the USB & cdrom connected to the computer at the moment). Starts working, then says it can't find the cdrom?? didn't it just boot from it?? I have no idea why it can't find it after just using it. I will say there was a lot of strange language during the boot:

READ_BIG MEDIUM_ERROR - and then a bunch of stuff about SCSI: check drive or something like that???

I've tried 2 different cdroms, and gotten the same messages? is there something up with my cdrom, or the mobo? just using an IDE drive, one was DVD burner, one just a plain cdrom (I think, might have been dvd player).

pblack00

Al562

Dabbler
Hi Pblack00,

Based on what you've written I would guess there is an issue with the MB BIOS. I've seen this behavior in the past. Best thing to do is write the OS directly instead of trying to install. Please read Installing from the Image to learn how. You can also try to install on another PC and then boot the one that does not work with the resulting USB key, in many circumstances it works just fine.

Regards,
Al

pblack00

Cadet
I actually think I may have another issue, I was finally able to install FreeNAS on my USB key (.7 version), but now the computer won't boot using the USB. Hangs at the first screen....gonna have to look into that issue first.
Thanks for the help!
Pblack00

Tekkie

Patron
This sounds more like MB problems than anything else, can you give us the details on what MB / CPU etc. you are using?

pblack00

Cadet
It's older hardware a MSI KT6V with AMD 2500+ Athlon XP processor, 2GB ram. I'm pretty sure now it's a problem with booting to the USB as I can boot to HDD or cdrom no problem, but whenever the USB key is in it hangs after checking Ram....still haven't found any solution online, looking around.

pblack00

Bayern_Fan

Cadet
Problem solved!

Hey there,
I had exactly the same problem, but when I put my cd-rom into sataport 0 it had worked! maybe this is the same case in yours.

Bayern :D

Status
Not open for further replies.