How to Mount a CDROM?

mattlach

Patron
Hey all,

I'm a total FreeNAS / BSD noob, but I have a good amount of experience with Linux. I'm having some problems mounting a CD on FreeNAS in order to copy some networking drivers from it.

Coming from Linux, this is the process I tried:

1.) Create a mount point.

# mkdir /mnt/cdrom

2.) Find the device name for the CD drive.

8128705861_3807bd7b95_o.jpg

Not being familiar with BSD device names, my best guess is cd0.

3.) Mount it!
Code:
# mount /dev/cd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/cd0 : Invalid argument

?? Invalid argument? Mount has always been "mount -options something somewhere"

I figure I've either misidentified the CD device, or mount uses a different syntax under BSD, but man has apparently not been installed, so I can't read the man page on it...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt

mattlach

Patron
I took another look at the devices, and remembered that iso9660 was the original ISO standard for CD's and gave that a try.

Code:
# mount /dev/iso9660 /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/iso9660 : Block Device Required

Different error message, still no success...

Any help appreciated!

mattlach

Patron
OK.

/dev/iso9660 is a folder, not a device.

If I look in this folder, there is a device with the volume name of the CD in my drive! Yippee!

Then I go to try to mount it again, and I get the "Invalid argument" again.

Help?

mattlach

Patron
Never mind, I figured it out.

Mount under BSD is not able to autodetect CD file systems like in more recent linux diustributions.

I needed to issue the -t cd9660 option, and then it works.

So if anyone else is trying this, the command needed is:

# mount -t cd9660 /dev/iso9660/yourcddevicehere /yourmountpointhere

Hope this saves someone else some time.

Yell

Explorer
i ran into the same issue with a ext2 disk, might save you some time..

mount -t ext2fs /dev/ada5s1 /mnt/somefolder

(if you get "is not supported", check if it isnt already mounted ..)

mysticpete

Contributor
When using a USB type CDROM Drive, this way only lasts for as long as the media is inserted in the drive, once removed the 'yourcddevicehere' disapears from the dev/iso9660 folder, is there a way of setting it permanently?

Daniyal

Dabbler
i ran into the same issue with a ext2 disk, might save you some time..

mount -t ext2fs /dev/ada5s1 /mnt/somefolder

(if you get "is not supported", check if it isnt already mounted ..)

How do I check if its already mounted? I tried the egrep command and its shows me my HDDs and DVD Drive but I can't seem to mount it using the command above and simply says not supported. Also not sure where it would output since I can't find a folder in /mnt other than the dataset created by me.

appliance

Explorer
When using a USB type CDROM Drive, this way only lasts for as long as the media is inserted in the drive, once removed the 'yourcddevicehere' disapears from the dev/iso9660 folder, is there a way of setting it permanently?
it's user-unfriendly
additionally to manual mounting each time, eject button cannot be pressed unless it is unmounted manually first
got ODD bay allocated to USB CD-ROM as no notebook has it anymore, so i took the chance, for once-in-a-year CD use.
but given the fact it's so unfriendly, also burner packages are missing, im going to simply connect NAS CD-ROM to PC (yes) via KVM switcher which is already splitting USBs between PC and NAS. still happy to utilize ODD bay.