System updated to 11.1 stable: promote dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foogaamoo

Dabbler
Hi!

I have two servers in a replication group. Upgraded one of the servers to 11.1-stable. Should I promote the datasets on the 11.1-stable server before upgrading the other server to 11.1? What does the promote function do exactly?

Thanks!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi!

I have two servers in a replication group. Upgraded one of the servers to 11.1-stable. Should I promote the datasets on the 11.1-stable server before upgrading the other server to 11.1? What does the promote function do exactly?

Thanks!
The User Document (see) Fig. 8.1.14 Editing a Disk says this;

Promote Dataset: only applies to clones. When a clone is promoted, the origin filesystem becomes a clone of the clone making it possible to destroy the filesystem that the clone was created from. Otherwise, a clone can not be destroyed while its origin filesystem exists.

foogaamoo

Dabbler
Yeah. Read the definition in the doc. So why does promote button appear after the upgrade to 11,1 release? Why did the developers decide to show the button after the upgrade?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah. Read the definition in the doc. So why does promote button appear after the upgrade to 11,1 release? Why did the developers decide to show the button after the upgrade?
Where does it appear?

foogaamoo

Dabbler
It appears on an inner menu icon when you select a dataset on the Storage web page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 2.47.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 2.47.15 PM.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 418

diskdiddler

Wizard
Same here, button is there, just spotted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.