No boot after update from to 11.2-STABLE - ld-elf.so.1 not found

TheCowGod

Dabbler
After a series of upgrades, I can't boot in 11.2-STABLE, with an error message of "ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found". Reverting to the 11.1 boot environment works properly. When googling for my error, I found a few issues posted relating to data loss during upgrade, but fortunately my issue doesn't seem to be the same one, because when I boot up in the 11.1 boot environment, my data seems to be intact in my ZFS pools.

A little background. My server was running 9.3 for a long time. Several months ago I upgraded to 9.10, and it has remained stable in the interim. Today I upgraded via the GUI to 11.1-STABLE, which seemed to go smoothly, and then I immediately upgraded again to 11.2-STABLE. When rebooting after that upgrade process had completed, the system wouldn't boot, with the error mentioned above:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.02.09 AM.png
If I enter `/rescue/sh` as my shell, I get dropped into a single user mode rescue shell. I used `/rescue/ls` to poke around the filesystem, and I see that the entire `/libexec` directory seems to be missing, but I DO see a `/usr/libexec`, which does contain a file called `ld-elf.so.1`, though it seems to just be a symlink to the nonexistent `/libexec/ld-elf.so.1`.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.09.39 AM.png

And, as I mentioned, if I reboot and select my 11.1 boot environment, it boots up successfully, and all my data seems to be there.

Any thoughts on what I should try? Thanks!