11.3-U5 to 11.1-U7 regression?

mm_half3

Dabbler
Hello,

I posted an issue I've noticed in a freeNAS 11.3-U5 server, where the active interface tx packets drop significantly (sometimes to 0) during smb video playback in This Forum Thread . After reviewing the notes kept for the server, I think this may have potentially started when I updated the device from 11.1-U7 (running stable for years), to 11.3-U4. The server ran for about 4 months using 11.3-U4 (recently updated to U5), before I noticed the issue, it's possible it was there, but I hadn't watched any of the mkv files that meet the criteria for this issue in the previous 4 months of using 11.3-U4/5.

I'd like to regress the device back to 11.1-U7 to see if the issue goes away, but am not sure if doing this will cause a problem with the data pools since they were used in an 11.3-U5 instance. I have a backup datasets for 11.1-U7 taken on 08/2021 and 11.3-U5 taken last week. My plan was to reinstall 11.1-U7 and restore the last 11.1-U7 backup I had, instead of using the 11.3-U5 backup. I don't see any logged changes made to the pools on the device after the last 11.1-U7 backup, just added new media to the storage pool.

Is what I'm proposing a good idea, or is booting into 11.1-U7 and using the last restore from that instance a bad idea, and if so, is there a better way to regress back to 11.1-U7 once updating to 11.3-U5?

Thanks,

danb35

Hall of Famer
Seems you should be able to just boot into the boot environment for 11.1-U7 and see how it goes, no need to restore anything. But it seems a better course of action would be to upgrade to something a bit more recent.

mm_half3

Dabbler
Thanks danb, booting into the 11.1-U7 instance didn't help things, I'm tending to think this is a hardware issue, maybe NIC, memory, or CPU related. The problem is I'm not seeing any errors in the log files, maybe time to stress test the system again, to see if something fails.