System Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKersh

Dabbler
Hello my fellow FreeNAS-ers,

Over the last few days I have been recording temperatures of the CPU cores and each HDD (2 x 3TB - 1 x WD RED, 1 x Hitachi HGST Deskstar in a mirror) utilizing one of the scripts in the 'How-To Guides -> Useful Scripts' section of the forum (found here) that takes the temperature of each component and emails it hourly (except on weekends). This is what I've noticed over the last 11 days (values are averaged over this period):

Component -- Temp (Celsius/Fahrenheit)
Core0 -- 39.4 /103.0
Core1 -- 39.7/103.4
ADA0 -- 31.9/89.4
ADA1 -- 35.7/96.3

The questions I have are:
Are the temperatures considered to be in the 'normal' range (not entirely sure what the normal range is)?
If not, do I need to improve the cooling of the system?

Hardware - HP N54L Gen 7 Microserver (Dual core AMD CPU, 12GB ECC RAM, FreeNAS 9.3 (Latest))
Direction of airflow through case - front to back

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yes.

Just to be sure: what's the max temp of the HDDs?

iKersh

Dabbler
The highest recorded temperature for each HDD in the last 11 days you mean -or- max operating temp for each HDD from the manufacturer's datasheet?

Max operating temp (each manufacturer's datasheet for each drive):
WD RED NAS 3TB - 65 deg celsius/149 deg fahrenheit
Hitachi HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB - 60 deg celsius/140 deg fahrenheit

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

I mean the max recorded temp; the max spec from the manufacturer is useless.

CaptainSensible

Dabbler
Those temps look fine.

As a solid state device most modern CPUs can cruise at 80C
HDD are mechanical therefore are fussy about temps. Id get worried at about 55C for WD Reds. (Op temp is max 65C).

As a side note my WD 2TB Black on my main PC sits on about 51C, It just loves the heat, never had an error.

iKersh

Dabbler
I mean the max recorded temp; the max spec from the manufacturer is useless.

Max recorded temp over the last 11 days:

ADA0 -- 37/98.6 (celsius/fahrenheit)
ADA1 -- 40/104

Weather-wise, over this period there were two days in a row that had a daily highs of 38 c/ 100.4 f - the server is located upstairs in the study plugged directly into the modem/router and this part of the house (upstairs) gets warmer quicker over the course of each day and with the A/C unit is off doesn't help matters either. There is no cabling in the house (it's a rental) so relocating the server downstairs, ideally underneath the stairwell (temp in there is cool and constant) but there is no power point in there so Ethernet-over-Power is out of the question.

Bidule0hm

Anything over 40 °C for HDDs is a bad idea for the drive's life.

@iKersh It's ok ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.