System hangs then crashes 1 - 5 seconds into SMB or iSCSI transfer of large files.

ultrask14

Dabbler
This is my first post, I am a newbie, be gentle.

System
CPU: FX6300
MB: M5A97 EVO R.2
Ram: Corsair 32GB 4x8GB DDR3 Vengeance
PSU: AeroCool 750W Power Supply, Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze
HBA: 9211-8i

Configuration
TrueNAS-12.0-U2
Tank 1, 2x8tb NAS
Tank 2, 5x1tb NAS
- located in tank 2 is a 60gb iSCSI share.

Error
1) When transferring large files or a collection of large files (anything larger than 650,000kb) from between SMB or iSCSI shares iSCSI shares the trueness system hangs after 1 - 5 seconds of transferring and is unresponsive. I have noticed that speed starts of steady for 1 second but drops down to a crawl, waits there, then crashes system. During this transfer, my ARC which is capped at 16gb as a tunable, does not peak or reach the limit of space I've allocated it.

2) I can Edit files stored on Tank 2 or Tank 1, save new files, and even record to these shares at 1080p 6k bitrate with no hassle however RENDERING files to the SMB share crashes the system too. Context on why this is interesting - at the end of the rendering process from media encoder there is a large spike in disc usage as the cache is dumped whilst the file is written (2gig output file MP4 format none VFR file) this spike crashes the system when outputting to SMB but not to iSCSI and only occurs when the rendering process is up to 100% complete.

3) Funnily enough I can recreate the crash on my bosses TrueNAS configuration - transferring a 40gb file, 7gb file and 2gb file from iSCSI to SMB share located on the same pool RAIDZ2 with 6 x 1tb drives. 32gb DDR3 ECC ram. He has purchased some SSDs to use as slogs also but these have not arrived yet.

Only fix is a hard reset. Before hanging there are no system errors displayed on the output from the server.

Steps to fix error
1) https://www.truenas.com/community/t...rap-12-page-fault-while-in-kernel-mode.60220/
Much like how this user is experiencing similar issues on a much larger scale, they too have swapped out every single piece of hardware during testing but still have the error. I have tested my configuration using the below components but error was still reproducible:

CPU: I7 4790k
MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Ram: Corsair 16GB 4x8GB DDR3 Vengeance
PSU: Aerocool 600W, 80 Plus Bronze
HBA: 9211-8i

2) I have also purchased 2 x 120gb crucial SSDs as slogs to add to my pools in mirror and stripe, however this did not work where it had done for the user i linked above
3) and also attempted to add a different new purchase of SSD VDEVS to the system and sharing too them but transfers and rendering to them still crashes the system.
4) Arc limiter as a tunable has been added and has been capped at 16bg this does not effect the issue.
5) removed Arv limiter to see if the limit is preventing the system from doing what it needs to do, no change.

Any help would be appreciated, I have no clue what to do next.

EDIT: Have added Version of TrueNAS.

EDIT: Tying off loose ends for this thread, coming back to this it was most likely the NIC. As someone else had pointed out - the NIC (Network interface card) would create a more stable enviorment for me to use to transfer files. The built in NIC on some gaming boards can be unstable for non windows enviorments. Although many youtube enthusiasts state you can build a server out of pretty much anything there are some exceptions haha - its not always that easy.

Last edited:

ultrask14

Dabbler
What version of TrueNAS is this?
TrueNAS-12.0-U2, I've added this to the original post. Thank you for your response.

Last edited:

ultrask14

Dabbler
Could there be anyone with any answers on this?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Your hardware choice isn't optimal for a NAS environment. Please make sure all overclocking options are disabled in the BIOS, as gaming boards often apply a default overclock to both the CPU and the RAM. As this is an AMD CPU, you may also want to try disabling Cool'n Quiet, and possibly C6 state if available in the BIOS.

Please also describe your pool construction: zpool status -v.

sretalla