SMB or ISCSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom__w

Explorer
Looking for more opinions...

I want to share one large 'Z' drive for my business of 50 computers. I have two options:

1* Direct SMB share through FreeNAS (U6)
2* Presented to VM via ISCSI and share through VM

I know option 1 allows me to directly access my snapshots and roll back individual files if I need to. But I have also been told that there are share incompatibilities between FreeNAS and Windows that may bite me in the future. I have actually seen some of these and they relate to propagation to sub folders. Perhaps U6 fixed many of these potentials pitfalls?

Option 2 is seamless but may be slower because of the ISCSI overhead. Option 2 also doesn't allow direct access to snapshots, instead requiring I restore an entire drive and create a new ISCSI connection to it.

I am leaning in a direction ... but can be swayed.

Thoughts?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
In general, the Samba project has been pretty good about fixing Windows incompatibilities. This is also by far the best way to access NAS data.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...quires-more-resources-for-the-same-result.41/

However, it is not perfect. You can get "best" compatibility by licensing a copy of Windows Server and using that to serve up an iSCSI-attached drive. This is resource- and cost-intensive though, and works with substantially less performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.