Large files getting split into chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PosGuy

Dabbler
I am copying over our old network drive via usb. I noticed on the terminal output that large files were being done in two chunks, /1 and /2. They way it comes up is the original file name becomes the directory and inside it are 2 files with a file name of 1 and 2. It seems to split the file at 4GB.

PosGuy

Dabbler
I'm thinking this has to do with the limitations of fat32 and the fact that the network/usb source drive was formatted as fat32. How this is I don't know because I thought fat32 had a partition size limit much under 1TB. I thought that perhaps this network drive does some sort of software conversion of the files in the background making it appear to get around it. I'm hoping that maybe it will be different if I delete everything and re-transfer it over the network, however I think the network/usb hard drive I'm transferring from is only 100Mbps on the network side so it will be ~4x slower than usb taking the transfer time from ~12 hours to almost 2 days.

PosGuy

Dabbler
I check the files on my Win7 comuter over USB and they are indeed stored in chunks. Something in the SMB software on the drive must do translations that the files show up contiguous when looking at it over the network.

I tried mounting the network share directly in freenas with mount_smbfs. It did mount and I was able to view the files. However when I copied files it quickly gave operation timed out errors. I am now using a windows box to copy the files from one network share (buffalo network drive) to the new one (freenas). Looks like this will take several days....

Status
Not open for further replies.