system dataset gone; SMB access broken

Supose

Dabbler
After loosing the pool with my system dataset I can’t access my TrueNAS’ SMB shares anymore. I still see the shares configured in the WebUI though. I don’t really get what stuff is saved in the system dataset. Apparently some SMB access data is part of it.

Now:

- What do I have to do to restore SMB access?
- What else should I take care of being reconfigured?

Redcoat

MVP

Supose

Dabbler
Reload your saved configuration.
Thank you. Still hope to find another way because I don’t know what config changes I made since my last backup. Because there is no way to automate the config backup, I sometimes forget to make them.

Redcoat

MVP

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Database contents are on /data (boot pool), not in system dataset. Losing a zpool (especially one storing important state) is a serious error condition and so service disruption is expected. Assuming you've already addressed the issue of the system dataset zpool (recovering data from backups, etc). You should validate that system dataset pool has migrated properly to another pool (there's an advanced system setting for this) and reboot the server. This will ensure that everything is set up correctly.

Supose

Dabbler
Well, no help to you now I'm afraid, but go here for a script to save your config file - you can automate that with a cron job to a schedule you define: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...s-including-disk-burnin-and-rsync-support.28/
Thank you so much. I definitely will check this out.
Database contents are on /data (boot pool), not in system dataset. Losing a zpool (especially one storing important state) is a serious error condition and so service disruption is expected. Assuming you've already addressed the issue of the system dataset zpool (recovering data from backups, etc). You should validate that system dataset pool has migrated properly to another pool (there's an advanced system setting for this) and reboot the server. This will ensure that everything is set up correctly.
Thanks, I went to “System”, “Advanced” and could not find on option/setting related to the system dataset. Did I look for it at the wrong location?

Alecmascot

Guru
Thank you so much. I definitely will check this out.

Thanks, I went to “System”, “Advanced” and could not find on option/setting related to the system dataset. Did I look for it at the wrong location?
System > System Dataset , assuming this is Core

Supose

Dabbler
You should validate that system dataset pool has migrated properly to another pool (there's an advanced system setting for this) and reboot the server. This will ensure that everything is set up correctly.
System > System Dataset , assuming this is Core
When I change the value in the drop down menu, will is create a new system dataset or try to copy the old one?