New users cannot access any SMB shares

kyle_poe

Cadet
Hi all, after figuring out that I was having some VPN issues with mounting SMB shares on my PC earlier, I funnily enough ran into more issues.

I am finding that I can only mount shares on an Ubuntu machine with old users. Newly created users cannot mount shares. They can still ssh into the server and have directory access as would be expected from their group membership. Alas, sudo mount.cifs //server/share /mnt/sharemount -o credentials=~/.mycreds only works for select users. And I have indeed confirmed that the credentials are correct, as they allow ssh access and the format works for older users.

Non-exhaustive list of things I have done:
  • Created a new dataset and share -> unable to mount with new users.
  • Attempted to change permissions/group membership of old user to exactly match new user -> no change in ability to mount shares in general
  • Tried resetting the server, toggling on/off SMB and NFS, disabling/re-enabling shares -> no change
  • Tried using different computers (one with ubuntu -> same results), (one with fedora-> same results)
What might be the issue here, that would cause new users to be unable to access shares?

System is running TrueNAS-12.0-U4.1. SMB settings are all default except Auxillary parameters: follow symlinks = yes; wide links = yes; unix extensions = no.

I unfortunately fail to see what else could be the problem. It seems like maybe there is some "stuck" piece of information about the users that can access shares for some reason that isn't updating. I would be very grateful for any leads.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you using local users or AD users? Are you creating the users on both the Ubuntu side and the TrueNAS side with the same UID/GIDs?

kyle_poe

Cadet
I don't know how or why, but the issue seems to have resolved itself. Thanks for your reply.