Users and permission - cant access data

jackydany

Explorer
Hi,

i run a truenas core 12 u7 on a dell r720 with a netapp ds4246 enclosure.

This setup is new and i just copied all my old data from the old truenas (freenas) over to this one.
No zfs replication, just a dump copy via WIndows using one single user.

On the truenas 12 i created the same user, same password and everything works fine. i can access the shares i create with this user.
but the user of my wife is not able anymore to access the shares a define.
i want her user to have full control to several subdirectories which are exposed via smb share.
on the old server, this worked flawlessly. nut now all i get is a "no rights, contact your admin" and i dont know why.

what i try to do:
all files are copied under one user (user ichselbst), own group
on filesysystem acl i defined @user, @group @Everyone and my user "ichselbst"
for everyone i defined full control and then applied permissions recursivly.

still no effect.
my own user has full rights to the whole dataset.
my wifes user cant access any share.

i am still not familiar with the permissions and rights management of truenas even though i use it for 3 years now.
but i set it up on freenas and got it working, so never any need to configure anything additional.

my goal is to have full controll with MY user to all datasets.
access and full control to several shares via the user of my wife
read only access to some smb shares with a media user and write access with this media user to some other shares.
i only use one big dataset right now as i had no need to divide it.

i hope there are some people not judging me too much and helping me out.
i really want to learn how permissions are set in truenas as i am extending my homelab quite a bit right now and want to get it done properly.
but first i need to silence my wife :D happy wife, happy life as she cant user the scanner and her directories anymore.

best regards

stefan